Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: model 12 LRP(long range precision)

bowhunter42

model 12 LRP(long range precision)

I just picked up Petersen's rifle shooter mag today and the cover story is about Savage's new model 12 LRP. from what was written, this thing is a shooter right out of the box. It comes in 243win 260 rem and 6.5 creedmoor. the test rifle was in the 6.5 and shot a ten shot group at 800 yards that measured 6 inch's. has anyone out there got their hands on one yet? leave it to savage to out do themselves again.

sinman

Re: model 12 LRP(long range precision)

I haven't shot a factory 6.5 creedmoor yet but I built one that shot 1/2" with box ammo. Ruger looks like they some very promissing rifles in 6.5 creedmoor and are quite a bit cheaper than Savage.

bowhunter42

ya this thing shot that group right out of the box with factory ammo. the writer said he got bored shooting at targets set between 300 and 600 hundred cause it wasnt a challange the gun never missed,so him pushed it back to 800 and shot that group. its a great looking rifle also.

Basic Member

I love mine in 260. Has shot all test groups so far sub 1" which isn't saying much, but I am not a very good shooter, so it is probably capable of much better. I really like the look/feel and the DBM. I like heavy rifles for some reason.

Basic Member

Give us some pictures of these guns... I cant find one anywhere to get my hands on. Only picture I have seen it the savage website.

Basic Member

Here is a quick pic of mine. Poor quality cell phone pic, sorry!

[img width=336 height=450]http://i944.photobucket.com/albums/ad288/319Savage260/LRP260.jpg[/img]

Nefarioud

I have one in .260. I'm planning to go out in the morning and rattle steel out to about 1200, now that I have a decent load.

I like the feel of it (feels just like an LRPV, odd :) ) and it was pleasant to shoot on the bench. Now it's time to go roll in the dirt and see if it was worth waiting for.

BTW Thanks for the heads up on the article, Guns also has an article on the .338LM 110BA, sweet!

jinx-)

I had my story about LRP in 260 posted previously and its not so sweet :-\

blom

jinx
    Please elaborate

jinx-)

It was inaccurate with heavy fouling. Basically its in Savage repair shop for more then a month now, it requires new barrel.

Basic Member

The really great thing about mine was that I ordered it from NSS and it was at my FFL in a few DAYS!!! Woo Hoo!

Nefarioud

Quote Originally Posted by jinx-)
    I had my story about LRP in 260 posted previously and its not so sweet :-\
    I read that, It's unfortunate you had that experience.

Either you got a bum one or there's another issue at work. Several other people including myself are using the .260 with good predictable results. Before you go badmouthing ALL of them you should probably sort out the issue with yours.

I bought an LRP new that had a warped receiver and couldn't be zeroed in at under 200 yard with an NXS. Savage fixed it and it's amzing like it should have been in the first place. You didn't see me whining all over the forum. It's a production item sometimes things happen. Like I said, I'm sorry yours went down that way but I'm thinking a vast majority of them will be great right out of the box.

Mine is SWEET!

Uncle Jack

".....Before you go badmouthing ALL of them you should probably sort out the issue with yours."

That appears to be exactly what he's trying to do.

"..... You didn't see me whining all over the forum."

??? I didn't see him whining all over the forum either. The man had a problem with a new Savage rifle and reported it. I believe this site is supposed to be more than just a Savage Mutual Admiration Society. As great as they are, every Savage rifle is not perfection. I know. I own 14 of them.

uj

jinx-)

It's just lately I been having special "luck" on defective firearms, this is not about Savage, but its driving me to the edge :-) I think gun manufactures should step up QC-QA specially on their high end rifles. With no return policy on the firearms it leaves us consumers deal with their mistakes. If you buy new car and transmission drops as soon as you leave dealer lot, you as consumer have more right then if you buy defective firearm. Many stores will kindly send your firearm for repairs, but there is no exchange or refund, unless it comes from manufacture. I been dealing with Savage because of my issue for more then a month and they are doing great job, they recognize issue straightaway, but because of their production being backed up they made me an offer to a different model different caliber and I think I will take their offer and I will thank them. The 260 LRP had it all, but one thing was missing, the main purpose why I bought it.

[img width=600 height=450]http://img705.imageshack.us/img705/4863/p1050329nq.jpg[/img]

Nefarioud

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Jack
    ".....Before you go badmouthing ALL of them you should probably sort out the issue with yours."

That appears to be exactly what he's trying to do.

"..... You didn't see me whining all over the forum."

??? I didn't see him whining all over the forum either. The man had a problem with a new Savage rifle and reported it. I believe this site is supposed to be more than just a Savage Mutual Admiration Society. As great as they are, every Savage rifle is not perfection. I know. I own 14 of them.

uj

Perhaps I was a little harsh, I stated that I had one and it was nice. Seemed like dude was being contradictory.

I realize they aren't perfect. They're mostly functional like an air cooled VW, decent price, pretty reliably and very user serviceable which is why I have quite a few of both. I've come to understand it's a bit of a gamble to buy new things and my expectation is that I may have to use some diligence to get things resolved if I get something that doesn't perform to expectation. I just choose to allow the situation to go through process before I publicly denounce something. The thing that I've learned to count on with Savage is that they've been more than generous with helping me out when it was my fault and have always made it right when it was theirs

Jinx,

If it were me I'd have them fix the LRP seems like that one was what you wanted in the first place. It may take a little longer; but, ultimately I think you'll end up with something maybe even a little better than what you expected (unless of course they offered something a little higher end )

bowhunter42

Sorry to hear about that Jinx, Glad to hear Savage is trying to make it right though. I was just telling my girlfriend about wanting to get a 6.5 Creedmore last week, and when she saw the magazine her comment was (so I guess this is our next rifle)lol. She knows me so well. she is a rare breed would rather go shooting than shopping.

Uncle Jack

".....she is a rare breed would rather go shooting than shopping."

For God's sake, don't let her get away!

uj

bowhunter42

Uncle Jack you are a wise man and my momma didnt raise no fool she is a keeper for sure! bad thing is we were shooting a couple of weeks ago and she out shot me with my own rifle at 645 yards. ouch i say, and this from a gal that until 6 months ago had never shot anything bigger than a 22.

Basic Member

I didn't see him whining all over the forum either. The man had a problem with a new Savage rifle and reported it. I believe this site is supposed to be more than just a Savage Mutual Admiration Society.
    Amen, UJ!! Some folks here seem to be really touchy about problems and complaints! If you have a problem you are labeled a "whiner" instead of people reading and understanding what is happening.

bowhunter, definitely keep that one! My wife is a good shot, but would rather shop, but at least she would rather have me shooting while she is shopping!

jinx-)

I think I'll just lay low for now, no whining etc...
    Have fun ;-)

bowhunter42

Hey Jinx, sorry about opening up a can of worms, I was just excited about this new rifle from savage, I don't think you were whining at all, with a group like that you were just stating a fact! I have had shotguns shoot tighter patterns! Well I wish you the best and I do appreciate your Input on this subject, that's why this site is here, to hear both the good and bad and hopefully to help solve issues that folks may be having with their Savage's. Jay

jinx-)

You might thank me after all, the machine which was making 6.5mm is taken down for repairs, so nothing what I experienced will happen again., maybe

bowhunter42

well dang thats great news for sure jinx! so if you dont mind me asking what did they (savage ) offer you in replacement of your LRP? Jay

jinx-)

LRPV

Just ordered one in 243 from NSS.Now it's just a waiting game til it gets here.
    "An armed society is a polite society"
    "...shall not be infringed" What's the confusion?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast