Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: model 12 LRP(long range precision)

Re: model 12 LRP(long range precision)

I give up.Can't get anything to go much under 2" @ 200 yd. I'll have to call savage and see what they recommend.Tired of wasting ammo!
    "An armed society is a polite society"
    "...shall not be infringed" What's the confusion?

bowhunter42

they will probably tell you that 2" at 200 is acceptable,.I wasn't real satisfied with the help I got from Savage with the Bear hunter custom, But I was able to get it to shoot finally. Berger calls for a 1:8 twist for their 105 VLD and 1:7 for the 115 Vld

I have box stock Remingtons (with a 1:10 twist)that shoot better than this supposed "precision" rifle.Sort of having buyers remorse now.With all the hype recently about Savages I thought I'd be getting a real tack driver.I really like the gun and the trigger but if it won't shoot what good is it?

M.O.A.

Quote Originally Posted by 243LRP
    70 gr B-tip. Why would you market a gun as "long range" that wouldn't shoot heavy streamlined bullets accurately?
    why would you not us a heavier bullet like the 105 amax or have you tryed it

jinx-)

Just buy new barrel from Northlander he got CBI on sale until end of this month and stop wasting ammo...

ID Tactical

243LRP,

What did Savage say when you called them???

Multiple folks here have said they have no problem with the 107 SMK stabilizing & shooting well from factory 243 Win barrels...

jinx-)

It looks like he did in post #11
    "Well I've had my LRP for about 2 weeks now and am not impressed.I haven't used any factory ammo but have tried 55 grain to 105 grain bullets and get groups below 1.5" @ 200 yd. "

1.5" @ 200 yards would be acceptable for factory barrel, even 2" within specs.

My VLD's were only 95 gr. so this should stabilize Ok. Would you replace a barrel on a brand new gun??Seems counter productive. Still need to call Savage.

jinx-)

Well since I voided their warranty on brand new LRPV, I have no other choice, since they won't replace it now, but I can still work this barrel to 243 WIN or 6XC TUBB, there is also 6x47...

Basic Member

As far as certain rounds being barrel burners, a lot of it has to do with the users of the rifle and how they are being used. If you shoot like people in F-Class, then yes, you will burn the barrel out. But if shoot and let the barrel cool down, then the barrel can last a long time.

I've seen Mini-14 barrels being burned out by being over-shot and not being cooled down and not being cleaned. But then again, there are members here who have 26,000 rounds down a 223. Its all about how you take care of the rifle. Just my .02
    They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

And whats up with the little rubber pad underneath the bolt handle?Is this just a Target action thing or do they all have it? It's gone already, wonder how much extra machining that took. I tried to call Savage last week about 3:30 pm.All I got was a recording telling me to call back during normal business hours.According to everything I can find someone should be there until at least 4:15-4:30.Customer service is becoming a thing of the past.

I noticed that little rubber bumper pad on mine too. I called the people @ the factory and asked about that among other things... they said that is their simplest solution to people whacking the bolt down and tripping the sear when the trigger is set really light. They admitted it wasn't very elegant, but that it does work so... ::)

So far mine is staying in place... so far.

I haven't had any problems getting ahold of the folks @ CS... sometimes I have to wait a bit as they have 'n' employees answering phones and 'y' amount of calls - at least it ain't outsourced BTW, I'm over here on the left coast in the Pacific time zone, so if I can get ahold of them w/ a 3hr time difference...

jinx-)

Call 1- 800-370-0708 choose option 6 and ask for Effie Sullivan or e-mail her esullivan@savagearms.com

Thanx for the info.I also noticed lately when looking @ the barrel from the muzzle I can see some type of red streaks on the edges of the rifling,along with perpendicular tooling marks in the rifling.I've worn out 2 brushes using Hoppes and CR10 trying to scrub them out. Over 150 rounds and they're still there.

Jinx, what did you do to void your warranty?

jinx-)

I had its chamber redone

To what?

jinx-)

original chamber had tool marks allover, fired brass was almost impossible to cycle again, plus it was off-center with the bore, so I had it redone with the same caliber. Still I was getting vertical fliers, so I ordered CBI bull barrel from Jim. Today I tested my new barrel and best group was 0.2" and worst 0.5" and I haven't played with loads for it. Also I didn't load my good bullets(Berger or Scenar), for break in I had 100 grain Hornady Interlocks and they grouped 0.3" with factory barrel they shot 1" - 1.5", I also had 105 gr A-Max and I got best group using them, I did try 87 gr V-Max and they grouped 0.5"

here is 5 shot group it has one flier, I think it has to do with kids next to my bench banging those AK-47 with rapid fire...

[img width=478 height=450]http://img692.imageshack.us/img692/5479/cbi6mmnorma7.jpg[/img]

and another one

[img width=508 height=450]http://img851.imageshack.us/img851/9089/cbi6mmnorma6.jpg[/img]

it seems all my groups had one flier, I guess I have to work on load development for it and play with action screws, this was only break-in session...

[img width=526 height=450]http://img217.imageshack.us/img217/6447/cbi6mmnorma8.jpg[/img]

[img width=472 height=450]http://img199.imageshack.us/img199/3241/cbi6mmnorma9.jpg[/img]

I hope you got a good deal on that gun! Not saying much for Savage Q.C.

jinx-)

I bought LRP in 260 REM for about 900 bucks, thats tax and registration included, it didn't shoot well so I send it back to the factory, 2 months later I called them and they offered me LRPV and I took that deal, well LRPV had that chamber issue which I tried to handle myself, at the end I voided its warranty, but CBI barrel on it seems to be working fine, so I think I'm done complaining

racinready300ex

Your not done complaining DIM

jinx-)

actually I shot 95 gr Burgers Target VLD today and it measured 0.095" 4 shot group the fifth shot open up to 0.32" that was my fault, bipod moved forward when I was pressing on the trigger, so for now I have nothing to complain
    also shot 260 rem CBI barrel which I mounted on my 111 model, it still has that old non accutriger, so it was break-in session for it and I was using 120 gr SPH flat-base bullets, but still 5 shots produced 0.75" and 3 shots measured 0.36", those SPH got low B.C and were not designed for target shooting.

Got a call from Savage.They're going to have UPS pick it up so they can check out what's wrong. Hopefully they'll repair it so I can shoot tiny groups too! Jinx, is that a 243?

jinx-)

no, the new barrel is in 6BR, but 243 should be very close

Well,the guy in the brown truck came to the house Wednesday in the middle of the worst rain this area has seen in probably forever and picked up my LRP. Today I get a voicemail from Savage saying they received the rifle but unfortunately there was no bolt in the box!! Imagine my surprise because I know it was in there when it left. So I called them back and explained that it was there when it left the house and they claimed that the box was a little wet. Seems it must've fallen out due to wet cardboard,so somewhere between here and Mass. there is a Savage bolt rolling around a UPS truck. Just my luck, nothing can be easy! They said they'd take care of it,so hopefully when they headspace the new bolt they'll screw on a new barrel to boot. Will it ever end? At least they have been very hopeful so far in getting this figured out.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast