Thread: Floated tang

weewilly

Floated tang

What type of groups do you see from rifle the tang is not floated on? I am having vertical mostly with 2 shots 1/4 in then another about 3/4 inch higher nearly straight up. This is a new barrel in Thumbhole stock . How much does the tang need to be clear? thanks for any help. Bill

rossman40

Re: Floated tang

What caliber, heavy or sporter barrel, have you bedded the action? It will do squirrely things on you specially from one range session to another and if you change the action screw torque. You can do the dollar bill test but you have to remember the safety and trigger assembly is under there. Other things to look at is, are the action screws centered in the pillars? Take your trigger guard off and see if your getting good contact. Sometimes the pillar is sunk farther then the little web of stock between the pillar and the cut-out for the trigger. I have also found a large splinter between the rear pillar and the trigger guard will make you scratch your head trying to figure out that problem.

Since you have vertical dispersion it may be something like the recoil lug/action bouncing forward during recoil. Check things and then maybe play with your action screw torque. Some guys say 25-35 in/lbs but my 112 likes about 50 in/lbs. DO NOT GO OVER 65 in/lbs

Is your barrel sporter weight? Is it a magnum caliber? sometimes, if you don't wait long enough between shots, groups will open up even when doing three shot groups, especially if the barrel touches some point in the channel AFTER it heats up.
    Vietnam Vet, Jun 66 - Dec 67

weewilly

The rifle is Stevens long action in laminated thumbhole that is pillared and bedded with 26 in. magnum barrel,heavy recoil lug, good trigger from SSS, and metal trigger guard. I just noticed the tang was not floated , have not had chance to shoot since i floated it. There is an awful lot of different posts on torque for screws, from 30 in. lbs. to70 in. lbs. Where would be best weight to start with since I floated tang. Thanks weewilly

rossman40

I would start out at 40in/lbs for a bedded laminate then try 50in/lbs. I like to put some bedding in front of the recoil lug and apply two layers of blue tape to the sides and front of the recoil lug during bedding to give .010" of clearance. That way you limit how far the action can bounce forward. Also your bedding material should be harder then woodpecker lips. Too soft due to wrong choice or improper mixing and you end up with rubber,, bad.