Thread: Federal 308 brass?

Basic Member

Federal 308 brass?

I starting reloading for my 12fv in 308 a few years ago. I am using federal match brass that I bought as factory rounds. A guy at the range gave me 150 rounds of federal brass. I was going to clean and size them. I saw there was blue paint around the primers. I took one out and saw that the primer pocket will not fit a large primer. Did they switch primer size? if I order new federal brass will that have the small primer pockets? I am doing ok with the brass I have been using just upset that I got the brass for free and cant use it..
    Thanks, Pete

Basic Member

Re: Federal 308 brass?

Sounds like it has a military crimp around the primer. A lot of military brass is crimped so that the primer can't back out and jam the weapon during combat. The crimp can be removed with a special tool or by something cheap like the Lee deburring tool. The brass would then be perfectly usable.

Basic Member

Are they small primer pockets? If so, just use small rifle primers. Might actually be a good thing - accuracy wise.

Basic Member

Quote Originally Posted by LHitchcox
    Sounds like it has a military crimp around the primer. A lot of military brass is crimped so that the primer can't back out and jam the weapon during combat. The crimp can be removed with a special tool or by something cheap like the Lee deburring tool. The brass would then be perfectly usable.
    this and they are large primers. u can actually do it with a drill bit if ur cheap and dont mind more work

I "bit the bullet" years ago and bought the Dillon crimp swaging tool. I can process crimped brass super fast. After almost 20 years and thousands of cases, the tool still performs as good as the day I bought it.
    Vietnam Vet, Jun 66 - Dec 67

Basic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Chameleoncamo
    this and they are large primers. u can actually do it with a drill bit if ur cheap and dont mind more work
    Ya, they are large primers. I have some brass set aside. I am going to the PA shoot on staurday, I will see if anyone wants then. Its just to much work and time I dont have.. Thanks for the input guys..

Basic Member

It really isn't a lot of work at all. You simply hold the deprimed case and with one twist of the Lee deburring tool all is well.

Basic Member

It really isn't a lot of work at all. You simply hold the deprimed case and with one twist of the Lee deburring tool all is well.
    i can do 100 piece in under 10 minutes its super easy.

Basic Member

Ya, did one last night was not that big of a deal. I got a 3hr drive to see if I want to keep them or not. Thanks..