Thread: UPDATE #3 Only one action screw on Stevens Model 246 .22LR

BattOpGrunt

UPDATE #3 Only one action screw on Stevens Model 246 .22LR

UPDATE: It does indeed have a s/n, so my guess is that it is post-'64, Stamped in barrel is Stevens Model 246 yadda yadda yadda, Westfield, Mass. It is a Bolt-Action Tube-Fed .22s-l-lr, Curved buttplate, weaver k3 60-b scope/rings (original).

UPDATE #2:So we have figured this to be a 1965 Stevens Model 246 built-by Savage and is identical to their 1965 Model 46.

Believe it or not there is only one action screw holding this gem together. Yes that's right, just one action screw...in front of the trigger guard. There is another post that could be used just 4.6in forward of the trigger guard, but the stock is not drilled for it and so it just rests on the stock when placed in.

Anyone ever seen this before? Is there any reason not to utilize the second/forward action screw?

UPDATE #2:Holy cow! Range report...Humidity 24%, Temp 92F, Wind 9mph/5o'clock, Bright/Some Clouds/Mostly Sunny, Shoulder Fired/Forward Rest...can you believe 50yd, 5 5-shot strings avg less than 1" With Remington 40g Solid Target!

I did need to break it down last night and remove the feed mech to "massage" the Magazine Guide, Lifter, Lifter Spring, and Lifter Spacers. They were not applying proper amount of pressure, due to binding, and not feed next round properly thus creating a FTF. So yes, I shot single-shot for the session, only 65rds. Ugh!

Keep in mind this was with a completely stock 1965 Stevens (Savage) Model 246 with original Weaver 3x scope. A true gem this is.

And here is a snapshot of it...
    [img width=600 height=302]http://slimvela.webs.com/Firarms/Stevens%20Model%20246.jpg[/img]

BattOpGrunt

Re: UPDATE #2 Stevens Model 246 .22LR

Bump for the update and questions

shelbyfan

Re: UPDATE #2 Only one action screw on Stevens Model 246 .22LR

since it is not a target rifle and it it fits snug in the stock a second hold down screw is not necessary. None of that model line, 6, 87, 187 had a second hold down screw. Most rifles didn't. My Savage 4 (bolt) did not but I added one when I bedded the stock.

BattOpGrunt

Re: UPDATE #3 Only one action screw on Stevens Model 246 .22LR

Quote Originally Posted by shelbyfan
    since it is not a target rifle and it it fits snug in the stock a second hold down screw is not necessary. None of that model line, 6, 87, 187 had a second hold down screw. Most rifles didn't. My Savage 4 (bolt) did not but I added one when I bedded the stock.
    Thanks for the info, I did decide to try it out as is and see what she could do. See my update #3 in my original post. I will do nothing except clean, lube and store 'til my next outing.

JCalhoun

Re: UPDATE #3 Only one action screw on Stevens Model 246 .22LR

Actually, it's quite common for rimfires to only have one action screw. The Remington 514 and 41 have one as do the earlier Lakefield/Savage Mark II's.

If you are concerned you could always do an epoxy bedding.