Thread: Savage info

EOD350

Savage info

I am new to this site and to Savage rifles. My first one is on its way to me, and I have many questions. Thanks in advance for any and all responses. My new rifle is a model 11 FNCS in 308. The barrel will be swapped to a heavy barrel very soon. In B/C stocks, which stock will be the right fit for semi L/R shooting 500 under? Is the model 11 a center feed or staggered? I know these are elementary questions, but I know nothing about these guns except they are smoking other brands on accuracy.

Re: Savage info

Being new, it's most likely going to be a centerfeed It's a short action. Barrel swap is a snap once you have all the tools and gauges. If you stay with 308, which would perform extremely well at 500 yards and beyond, you don't have to change bolt heads or magazines. I'm not up on what aftermarket stocks will fit the centerfeed but another member more versed than I will surely chime in with the correct information. I personally have converted a staggerfeed stock to take a centerfeed magazine and it wasn't difficult.

Welcome aboard! There is a wealth of information on this site and great members that will help you all they can.
    Vietnam Vet, Jun 66 - Dec 67

SMK Shoe

Well, another one lost to the " I'll buy just one rifle". ;D ;D ;D ;D
    +1 on the welcome aboard. This is a great site with lots of info. Just figure you are going to start planning your next rifle before the first one gets shot. This Savage stuff is addictive. a year ago I had one tgt action, one pistol stock, and one barrel. Now, three tgt action, one Short action, two rifle stocks, four pistol stocks and about 50lbs of barrels. Also expect the bank account to take a beating> ;D ;D ;D ;D

Welcome!

If your Model 11 is brand new, it will be a centerfeed (4.41" bolt spacing). If it an older rifle, it could be staggerfeed (4.27" bolt spacing). Unless its spanking new, probably be best to measure the action screws on the rifle before ordering a replacement stock, just to make sure.

Bell & Carlson makes the A2 style Medalist Tactical for both 4.27" staggerfeed 4.27 and 4.41" centerfeed actions. B&C also makes the Duramaxx which is sort of an M40 style, but that is only for staggerfeed short actions so you'd have to convert it to fit a 4.41" centerfeed. I have an A2 Medalist on a 12FV and I like the stock a lot; its no McMillian or Manners but very good at its price point. Stockade also makes very good stocks, though you'll have to wait a few months to get one.

As previously mentioned, the 308 has a .473 case head, so any cartridge with the 308 case as parent (260, 243, 7mm08, etc.) as well as a few others (6mmBR, 6XC, etc) will work without changing out the bolt or magazine.

I highly recommend the Criterion barrels Jim Briggs @ Northland sells here on SavageShooters (I have one in .260 Rem), but you can't go wrong with a Shilen or McGowen or Brux or Lothar or Krieger or SinArms or any other quality make. You can do a barrel swap at home with as little as a barrel nut wrench and a go-gage, though you very well may also want an action wrench, no-go gage, shop vise with wood blocks to hold the barrel, or some combination of the above. There are good videos on YouTube showing every step to swapping barrels on a Savage.

Savage rifles are an expensively addicting hobby!