Thread: I need my scope to move a good inch forward...what base to get ?

herbeapuce

I need my scope to move a good inch forward...what base to get ?

Hi. I bought this Nikon omega scope because it has a very long eye relief ( 5 inches constant) and I now feel safer shooting my .300wsm .
    Problem is the scope tube is very short. it is around 4.75 " and with my leupold base and rings, the scope is as far as it will go from my face, but it's not far enough to my taste. I now have to move my head back just a bit to get the best view in the scope. with the base and rings now on, it has no other position possible; the rings are fixed on the base and can`t more onto another slot...

so without busting the budget , do you know of a cheap system that will allow my short scope to be mounted 1 inch forward ? one piece or 2 piece base I don`t care ( I now have a 2 piece base on and I have zero experience with one piece base on a top fed rifle...how easy/hard is it to load ammo into the rifle from the top with a 1 piece base ??)

I have to mension the rifle is a Savage model 16 NON Accutrigger ( flat rear receiver) short action (.300wsm) . I looked online ... not much choice for non accu savage nowadays...

I know I could get a nice farrell but it's a bit out of my budget... I would like to go with something cheaper if it exists. do you know of a setup that would work with my scope?

thank you
    stef, montreal

Galveston22

Re: I need my scope to move a good inch forward...what base to get ?

82boy

What kind of bases do you have? On weaver bases you can flip the base around and gain a small amount of movement. Weaver grand slam base has an extended base, and they run about 10 bucks each. You could get away with one, but you would need another grand slam base so that they would be the same height.

dcloco

Or use an EGW brand weaver style one piece rail and move the scope wherever you need it.

As Galveston posted, there is also extended weaver type rails available from McRee Precision as well.

herbeapuce

Quote Originally Posted by 8208boy
    What kind of bases do you have? On weaver bases you can flip the base around and gain a small amount of movement. Weaver grand slam base has an extended base, and they run about 10 bucks each. You could get away with one, but you would need another grand slam base so that they would be the same height.
    I believe my base are leupold ?? I could be wrong as I bought the gun used... but the rings looks like a dovetail... as you can see it will not go further.

note that my scope body is almost touching the rings .... 1/8 " shorter and it would have not fit...

So what is best? a one piece base or 2 piece extended base for my top fed rifle ??? any issues with one base?
    EDITED: I checked online and it seems Weaver doesn't make extended back base for my flat top receiver....

[img width=600 height=450]http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a231/herbeapuce/savagescope.jpg[/img]

Basic Member

Quote Originally Posted by dcloco
    Or use an EGW brand weaver style one piece rail and move the scope wherever you need it.
    +1

I love my EGW rails. I have them on all of my Savages and Remingtons.
    "Muzzle velocity is a depreciating asset, not unlike a new car, but BC, like diamonds, is forever."-German A. Salazar

pd721el

Your rings appear to be Redfield and I think that is what your bases are. I'd get the EGW base and some rings to fix the problem. I will be interested to see if how the Omega muzzleloader scope will work on a center fire. Good luck Eric

This is the +20 MOA but you get the idea.
    [img width=600 height=448]http://i548.photobucket.com/albums/ii326/pd721el/Picture455.jpg[/img]

Basic Member

leave the scope alone and get a recoil pad insert or something along those lines.
    God still loves you,   yep even on them days....

herbeapuce

Thanks to everyone of you. very helpful here.... :-X

now one last one before I go shopping : my rifle is a 300wsm, my scope has a total of 60 Moa. if I get a 20 Moa base, that means I still ca go down 10 Moa and 50 Moa up at 100yards. is there a downside for using a 20Moa base on my rifle to be sighted at 100 yards? I mean why not buying a base with more distance to it ...? and the second hand market is probably better for 20Moa tactical bases, right..

what is the catch? please educate me ;D

Just buy a 0moa base. That scope doesnt have finger adjustable turrets(IIRC) so you wont be making adjustments in the field anyway. IMO you'd be better off just zeroing the rifle in at 200 or 300 yards. You'd be 2-4in high at 100 probably, but that is an easy thing to remember when hunting. How far do you plan to shoot the gun?

Just because your scope has 60moa doesnt mean that 30 is up and 30 is down. Your scope is probably not sighted in right in the middle of the elevation amount. If you plan to shoot 500 yards or further you might want one, but you'll probably want a different scope also.

My suggestion for a VERY solid and reasonable priced setup is a 0moa EGW base, and Burris Signature Zee rings in "low" height(if you plan on a bigger scope later get mediums). This setup will run about $70, but you'll never need anything else.
    ”I have a very strict gun control policy: if there’s a gun around, I want to be in control of it.”
    ~Clint Eastwood

herbeapuce

I hear you pdog06. what you said makes a lot of sense: it's not said that the 60moa are rignt in the middle...

@ pdog06. my hunts are between 20 and 300 yards. now my sight is right on at 200y , so it's 1.5" up at 100y and -6" at 300. that works best for me.

@ hershey I already have a Simm recoil pad installed.

@pd7213l I was told by the folks at opticstalkforum that the omega should hold fine. it has the nikko reticule and not the bdc for muzzles . the optic isn't the greatest but I feel safer shooting a 5" eye relief as I already have 2 kisses on my forehead from bench shooting ...hehe...

@Smokey262 thanks for showing me some extended rings.

Thanks to everyone for their help !
    Stef