Thread: Help with my horse trade

kam582

Help with my horse trade

Hello,
    Although I have three Savages, I am new to the forum. I'm quite happy I found it while researching a rifle I got on trade. I traded a Mini 14 for a Savage 112 in 22-250 with a Choate Ultimate Sniper Stock, Harris Bipod, and a Simmons 6.5x20x50 scope. Not real happy with the glass, but it will do for now. It also has a different trigger, but I don't know what trigger is in it. It is very light and crisp, and will work fine. I'm here as I can't really figure out about when the rifle was made. From what I have read, it is a long action as the model number is 112. My questions are, about when was this rifle made, and is the stock after market, or did Savage sell some of these with the Choate stock?

I'm happy with the trade, as I got rid of a rifle I never shot, and got this for prairie dogs. I've been using a Model 10 for that, which works fine, but I wanted to reach out a little further. I'm hoping to shoot 50 gr. V-Max at about 3,800 or 3,900 out of this gun. I haven't fired the gun yet, but I have an agreement with my dealer, if it won't group, I bring it back.

Thanks for the help.

[img width=600 height=338]http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii147/kam582/DSC00217.jpg[/img]

[img width=600 height=338]http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii147/kam582/DSC00216.jpg[/img]

[img width=600 height=338]http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii147/kam582/DSC00214.jpg[/img]

Re: Help with my horse trade

Welcome kam,

I'm not sure what you're asking about? The 12's are all short action, the long action version would be a 112. The best way to tell is to measure the distance between the action screws. There's nothing stopping someone from screwing a short action barrel onto a long action receiver. Are you calling it a "12" because that's what is stamped on the barrel? If it's 5" between action screws, it's a long action. If it's either 4.25" or 4.40" between screws, then it's a short action.

I have a 22-250 (it's the one in my signature) for prairie dogs also. I'm running the 50 gr vmax over 40.0 grs of H-380 at just over 3800 fps. I get one hole groups @ 100 yds from a solid rest. I also love those 250 count boxes. Good splat factor also.
    12F, McGowen 6.5x284 1-8&quot; twist, Nightforce 12-42x BR<br />BVSS, McGowen barrel, 22-250 1-9&quot; twist, Nikon 6-18x<br />16 FHLSS Weather Warrior, Sinarms 257 Roberts, Pentax 3-9<br />Stevens 200, 223 bone-factory-stock, Nikon 3-9x<br />Scratch-built BVSS, LW 243 1-8&quot; twist, Viper 6.5-20x50 mil-dot

kam582

Your are right, I reread my post and I didn&#39;t do real well in explaining my questions, and left one out. I have modified it. I am really only looking at about when the rifle was made, and is the stock aftermarket or did Savage produce them for a while with the Choate stock on them? My brother has a model 12 Savage, that also has a Choate stock on it.

Here&#39;s a quote I found the the Centerfire FAQ. Looks like it falls in the 1988-1997 era.

From 1988 to 1997 all Savage bolt-action rifles were made on long-actions. Those chambered for short-action cartridges have a shorter magazine feed port cut to work with the existing short-action magazine boxes from previous years. As such, even though the action is technically a long action you can not mount a long-action cartridge magazine to it without having the feed port lengthened.

Also, the Choate stocks were offered from the factory as part of the Law Enforcement series. But I don&#39;t think they had a 12/112 Model designation. I thought they were 10/110&#39;s. I&#39;d be willing to bet it was an old FV plastic stock that got replaced with the Choate.

The other thing that will limit your barrel swapping is the short action magazine box. I used one of these long/short actions with a single shot follower for my 338 Edge build.
    "Muzzle velocity is a depreciating asset, not unlike a new car, but BC, like diamonds, is forever."-German A. Salazar

82boy

Savage did offer a Choate stock on a few guns for a short time.
    Savage did offer a similar gun available in their catalog. The gun was known as the model 12VSS, this was one of Savages Target/Varmint rifles. The gun was made around the year 2000, and was stainless steel with a fluted barrel. Early 12VSS came equipped with Sharp Shooters Supply (SSS) Competition trigger, and a barrel with a slightly thicker profile. After the accu-trigger came out, Savage changed from the SSS trigger to the accu-trigger. This gun came with the "Ultimate Varminter" stock.

The stock you have on your gun is an "Ultimate Sniper" stock. The difference is the forarm is slanted not strait like is found on the "Ultimate varminter" stock. I don&#39;t recall savage making a law enforcement model with the "Ultimate Sniper" stock, in a blued gun. When Savage offered the 12VSS would have been a few years after they created the 2nd gen short actions, and gave then a 2 digit number.

I would say that the stock was added aftermarket, and that you have an older gun. It is possible that the gun came that way from the factory, because Savage is good about making small runs of guns for different companies, with things not shown in there catalog.

Salvo

Sure is a nice looking rifle.