Thread: 22-250 ejection problems

bmp109

22-250 ejection problems

>I know you guys have heard this before, but year goes. My savage 22-250 short action will not eject cases on a consisent basis. I called savage they sent me a new ejector and spring. I put those in and the rifle worked fine for awile. They kept telling me the ejector was the problem. I, suggested the extractor maybe the problem, but they said it was the ejector. The guy must not have known the extractor and the ejector work together to eject the case. Anyway, I called them back and they would not send me an extractor, because gun had been modified. So, I bought an extractor from Midway. That also helped, but only for a short time. I tried the bigger detent ball and filling the ejection pin so it would protrud farther, but that didn't work. My bolt head is .024 larger than my caseheads. I ,believe this is the issue. This is my first savage and I haven't been happy with it. I have a lot of time and money working up loads and don't want to give up yet, but I'm very close to giving up and getting another 700. I've had seven different 700's and never had a problem. What can I do.

BP

airaddict

Re: 22-250 ejection problems

ive had the same issue but have put up w it for a while. i dont shoot a whole lot but when i do ill burn up a good deal of loads im testing or working on.

ive had on occasion, empties come loose from the bolt head before they have a chance to get flicked out of the action and get in the way of the bolt pushing a fresh round into the chamber. a gunsmith friend of mine filed on the extractor lip ,thinking it may have a burr on it that prevented it from sliding over the rim, and it did help as it didnt do it as often but the fact is that it does still do it. im interested in reading possible caused from the more veteran savage gurus in here.

brian

hotbrass

Try a different bolt head.

I had the same problem with my 22-250. Many others also did!

After trying everything in the book and many good suggestions from here,

I ordered a complete bolt assembly from SSS and never had another problem.
    [B][SIZE=3]Dennis[/SIZE][/B]

airaddict

could it be rough spots on the ejector and/or the extractor that prevent it from moving smoothly? its just hard to belive that multiple people buying diff guns at diff times have the exact same prob. unless SSS QC's there bolt which i find kind of hard with as many as they sell. just my thought. mabye someone else can chime in and offer more.

brian

MNbogboy

I have three 110s & a 200...they all suffer from the same thing from time to time....Most of my brass is Rem
    & WW and a lot of the newer Rem brass seems to do "fall off" the extractor more often than my older stuff....Some of this brass actually is "tight" in my shell holders (including brand new brass), I measured the grooves and they are not quite as deep....After weeding out the culprit brass it seems I get more consistent extraction/ejection....Maybe there is less of an issue with Laupa, Norma or Nosler brass...

Also too slow of operation contributes to dropped cases and once in a while too fast does the same thing but not as often.......

On another note....I believe the ejector may actually be part of the problem because it pushes the case head completely out of the bolt head before the case clears the receiver...I have a spare bolt for my small rifle calibers where operated a single shot only with no ejector....It never drops a case, they always hang on ready to be plucked off....

I wish somebody would come up with a cure all answer.....Anybody else out there feel it may be a brass issue?

Randy

SMK Shoe

I would bet it is a brass issue. One of my tgt actions is a 22BR pistol. With Lapua brass ejects just fine but if I use remington BR brass it is 50/50 that the brass will stay on the bolthead.

marcus40

I just purchased my 2nd Savage in 243 Winchester; my 1st one was a 30-06 that I purchased back in the late 90's. Is this problem primarily pertaining to the 22-250 or is it pretty much all centerfire. My 30-06 has never had a problem, I reload also and the 30-06 has at least several thousand rounds through it over the years.
    I am asking because I hope I don't have any problems with my 243 Winchester.
    Marcus

The 22-250 case head is .4728 and Savage uses a .473 bolthead so there should be very little play but I'm thinking there is too much play and I would try a new bolthead . (Accurate shooter.com has the case size spec for 22-250) I don't think .243 will have any problem's being that the case head is slightly bigger, but all that being said it still could be the brass.
    There really is an excuse for everything!

Skunce

Try some Lapua brass, it's about .007" larger in diameter at the rim than my Winchester brass. It's also larger ahead of the extractor groove and won't look bulged after firing the way Winchester brass does. Nosler brass is larger ahead of the extractor groove also, but I don't have any on hand to measure the rim.

Samdweezel05

You can buy all the new bolt heads you want but it's still not guaranteed to cure your problem. There was a post done on here a few years back about how to modify the extractor to make the problem go away. I have never had any brass that would function correctly in my .22-250 and I have tried it all.

bmp109

I tried a friends bolt that has a smaller bolt head .480. His bolt ejects win. brass very well from my gun. I also tried some federal brass with my bolt and it worked. The federal brass measures .470 at the head and my winchester is .464. I'm going to buy a new bolt head from midway. I hope it has a smaller head diameter, if not I will use federal brass in the gun. Thanks for the ideas guys. I'll let you know how it turns out.

BP