Thread: Savage synthetic stocks

DCM

Savage synthetic stocks

I am going to buy a Savage rifle in the next few months and like the LRH but it appears to be too heavy. In the other models, I see that they come with AccuStocks or synthetic stocks.

Are all of Savage's synthetic stocks the same or do you get a better quality in their more expensive rifles. I have heard so many negative comments about the synthetic stocks that I am reluctant to get one.

Thanks

Re: Savage synthetic stocks

The synthetic stocks are definately pretty cheap, but are usable though. They flex ALOT in the forearm and recoil lug area. You could strengthen the forearm by adding metal rods in it and bedding it(which will add weight as well) but it will still flex at the recoil lug.

The accustock is a much better stock than the standard synthetic, but even they have some flaws with it. The action screws have to be torqued in a certain sequence, which some have found to be a pain.

To see the differences withthe accustock just go to the Savage arms website and click the "accustock" link. It will then show you a vidoe of it.
    ”I have a very strict gun control policy: if there’s a gun around, I want to be in control of it.”
    ~Clint Eastwood

DCM

It sounds like I would be better off getting one with the accustock and living with the extra weight or pick a model with a wood stock.

Thanks for the information

Basic Member

All my savages (6x45 build & .223s) still wear the tupperware stock they came with & I have no problem shooting sub moa from .250"-.790" @ 100yds and see no reason to change them myself.
    I forgot to say that they all wear bipods also also.

ellobo

Ditto what Sscp says. I like my synhetic. As long as you arnt using a bipod on it the forearm wont flex enough to cause problems unless somehow you manage to put an undue strain on the forend, which will not happed under normal use. As a plain hunting rifle the synthetic is fine, just make sure the barrel is free floated as well as the tang and your good to go. If the barrel isnt free floated loosen the mounting screws, put some card stock along the side of the barrel where it touches to center it (not under it) and retorque the mounting screws. That should do it.

El Lobo
    PS. remove the card stock after tightening the screws.

Quote Originally Posted by ellobo
    Ditto what Sscp says. I like my synhetic. As long as you arnt using a bipod on it the forearm wont flex enough to cause problems unless somehow you manage to put an undue strain on the forend, which will not happed under normal use. As a plain hunting rifle the synthetic is fine, just make sure the barrel is free floated as well as the tang and your good to go. If the barrel isnt free floated loosen the mounting screws, put some card stock along the side of the barrel where it touches to center it (not under it) and retorque the mounting screws. That should do it.

El Lobo
    PS. remove the card stock after tightening the screws.
    Good tip..................
    Vietnam Vet, Jun 66 - Dec 67

forger

I have a 93F in .22 mag. (accutrigger).. I'm pleased with it and it delivers excellent accuracy. Much more comfortable for this old guy in the woodchuck fields.

Team Savage

I bought a Savage 10 SA package rifle last night at Walmart in order to get the action. I'm selling the takeoff parts. I saw this thread and got to looking at the Savage plastic stock (not an Accustock) that came on this box store run. I believe Savage must have done something to these newer CF plastic stocks with blind magazine. They are not as flexible in the forend as they use to be. The sidewalls are thicker. And they seem to have added something to the plastic to give it strength. If I liked plastic stocks in general, I would consider keeping this one and adding a little silver spider webbing to dress it up. At 2 lbs with a plastic trigger guard, you won't find anything in wood or fiberglass composite any lighter (unless you are willing to spend big bucks). Call me crazy, but I don't believe these are the same tupperware stocks of old?

ellobo

If memory serves and it often doesnt, I think at one time it was mentioned here that Savage had gone to a different molder and a newer mold set than previous. If true they may well have gone to a different plastic for a stiffer forend. Hopefully someone who knows will check in here with an answer. My plastic stock seems more than stiff enough for my needs and it isnt a young one. Black with very nice checkering molded in. Now my favorite hunting rifle, especialy in dicey weather. This is northern New England after all.

El Lobo