Thread: Anyone SBR'd a Savage action? Pointers

Basic Member

Anyone SBR'd a Savage action? Pointers

Just checking to see who may have placed a Form 1 on a Savage Action to convert it to an SBR.

Filling out the paperwork and wanted to see if there was any Savage-Specific Pointers..

Will the Caliber need to be added to the receiver when I have my trust engraved, or do the barrel markings suffice?

Will I need to have a Model also engraved?

I'm going to "reuse" the Savage SN, so not having any new SN's issued.....

Any help would be appreciated..

SC
    "Dum spiro, spero" - While I breathe, I hope.

Basic Member

Re: Anyone SBR'd a Savage action? Pointers

Caliber should not be needed for SBR, only your name and city as the "manufacturer." The action is the only part of the firearm, the barrel is just an accessory, much like an AR upper.

What are you doing to make the rifle an SBR?

Basic Member

Its a 300 blackout build. The round is favorable to SBR applications. For supersonic, it runs pistol powders that are consumed quickly.

Going to have the barrel cut back to approximately 12" with threaded muzzle to allow for supressor use without making the gun 4 feet long. With a non-SBR barrel length, the supressors rated for the round typically add another 8" to the gun. There's a chance I'll use it on hogs or deer pest control, so a 24" total barrel becomes unwieldy.

Without the supressor, it'll be a Very short rifle with a muzzle brake to try to keep the blast forward as much as possible . Either scenario will just add to the FUNctionality of the gun. :-)

SC
    "Dum spiro, spero" - While I breathe, I hope.

hotbrass

I have a AR setup with 300 Blackout and it has a 16" heavy barrel and it is not bad at all with a 8 1/2" suppressor. Shooting a 208gr Amax is very easy because of the weight. I shoot the 300 with the gas cut off for better suppression, but it cycles fine with the gas on.

I have also got a 16" barrel on backorder from Gun Shack for a Savage. Cant wait! Not sure when it will arrive. Havent really given much thought to making a SBR out of one of my bolt guns. I have several AR SBR's and love them.

They are fun to shoot!