Thread: Most accurate readily available ammo for your Savage 93 .22mag?

Reno1

Most accurate readily available ammo for your Savage 93 .22mag?

What's an accurate ammo out to 100 yards? Will be used mostly for hunting. So a good accurate HP. Thanks.

hogwire

Re: Most accurate readily available ammo for your Savage 93 .22mag?

Don't have a 93 but you'll have to try em all to find out which one works for ya. Personally I like the new plastic tip rounds best, they hit hard and I've been gettin really good accuracy from my accelerator rifle. I also like the CCI maxi mag +V rounds and Winchester 40 gr. hollow points work pretty good if they shoot well in your rifle. Remmy plastic tips work well also but they're probly loaded by CCI. Think CCI has a plastic tip load also. Although Hornady is usually cheapest. hw

forger

The main reason I shifted from .22 mag to 17HMR, It is difficult to find a great shooting mag. Not thatthere are not some good shooting mags, in years past I have had some Anschutz and Mossberg mags which shot very well. Still, I swapped my Marlin mag for a Savage 93R17V.
    You will just have to try a variety of loads and see what your rifle likes best. Over in rimfirecentral.com , many who have reached the frustration point, claim that the Hornady 30gr V-max saved them from "mag-acide".
    I still have a .22 mag in an H&R and will try the Hornadys. Perhaps I didn't have to sell my Marlin...but I sure do like my Savage .17 HMR.

http://www.glensoutdoors.com/Product...w.shopping.com

Mbarnes72

I tried several brands without anything impressive in a 93-FV until I shot the Winchester Black box and that is all I have bought since. In my rifle off bage it will easily shoot .5" @75yds. Couldn't even double that size with most other types.

+1 On the Winchester Supreme Black Box. Easy Sub MOA at 100yds. Have gotten 1/2MOA at 100 several times. I don't shoot it on paper all that much anymore, but many squirrels and rabbits that have crossed its path won't argue that its plenty accurate enough for one shot kills.
    204, 22 K-Hornet, 222, 223, 22-250, 22-250AI, 6BR, 243, 243AI, 6-06, 6-WSM, 250-3000AI, 270, 7-08, 7RM, 30BR, 308, 30-06, 375 H&H, 444 Marlin, 450BM, 458WM

Colon Terminus

Hornady V-Max shoot best for me in both my 93's. Under a MoA.

Reblyell

The only two loads I have used in my Model 93 so far are the Remington 40gr JHP, and the Hornady V-Max 30gr. The funny(?) thing is even with the 10 grain difference, there's no variation in group size, or POI (at 100 yards) when switching between the two. Haven't been able to shoot past 100 yards yet so I don't know what to expect when I'm able to do so. Looking forward to trying out the CCI 40gr HP Maxi-Mag as well. Heard good things about it. Best!

forger

Since my above post (32) i have purchased a Savage 93F.... I only tyried Hornady 30gr V-max and Win 40gr HPs ...but it shoots both of them like gangbusters (about 3/8' at 50 yds)..

Tracer

Reno, you are going to have to solve that secret all by yourself! Now what shoots good in my rifles, may NOT shoot well in yours. I spent 3 days at the rifle range taking notes and firing various brands and types of .22mag ammo. I use Winchester FMJ on the big coons! Federal also has a new 50 grain bullet out for the .22mag and it is impressive on Coon, Fox and will take Coyote with no problems out to 70 yards. You need to stay with at least the 40 grain bullet for hunting out to 70 yards plus.