Thread: dies for new mcgowen barrel

51Bravo

dies for new mcgowen barrel

Hi Fellas,

I ordered a new 308 McGowen barrel today. want to get some cheap dies to start off with, eventual going to a full custom die. What do you guys think about going with some Lee dies? Or should I step up to the RCBS dies? Anybody have any targets shot with lee dies I could see?
    Wood

Re: dies for new mcgowen barrel

I love my Lee deluxe 3-die sets. Full length, Neck collet, and seater.
    "Muzzle velocity is a depreciating asset, not unlike a new car, but BC, like diamonds, is forever."-German A. Salazar

+1 on the Lee Dies. Almost every caliber I have, I have gotten a Lee Deluxe set for.
    204, 22 K-Hornet, 222, 223, 22-250, 22-250AI, 6BR, 243, 243AI, 6-06, 6-WSM, 250-3000AI, 270, 7-08, 7RM, 30BR, 308, 30-06, 375 H&H, 444 Marlin, 450BM, 458WM

SMK Shoe

Lee dies are not the best, but they are good dies. Works great for about 80% of the ammo I reload for. I always get a set with any new caliber just so I can get started reloading for it. Also have sets for stuff I don't shoot, but that are common ( 243, 308 win, 30-06 etc) that I can knock out ammo so the guys I shoot with are covered. usually get a couple extra bucks from the guys to cover buying dies. good deal for all concerned. they get ammo cheaper than factory and I get to hoard reloading dies.

51Bravo

I'm assuming the neck collet sizes just the neck? Thanks for the help, I will be ordering a set.

Wood

anomad

Quote Originally Posted by SMK Shoe
    Also have sets for stuff I don't shoot, but that are common ( 243, 308 win, 30-06 etc) that I can knock out ammo so the guys I shoot with are covered.
    Haha, I do that too. I have .308, 30-30, .270, 32 win special, that I can think of, that I don't own any gun chambered in.

Lee dies are fine, I like the old o-ring lock rings and the finger adjustable bullet seating. I even have some Lee dies on my Dillon 550, hasn't caused a catatonic chain reaction or anything.

helotaxi

Station #1 in almost all my Dillon tool heads for rifle rounds have a Lee collet neck die installed.

Luckus

I use Lee Collett dies, and the regular seater and fl are good. But I have had the best luck (least runout) with the Forster Seater dies. The Mic is nice but not necessary.

L.H. Clark

I agree with LUCKUS. I love the Forster Seater Die I got for my 6.5 Swede McGowan Barrel. That being said, I wouldn't worry too much about getting a "FULL CUSTOM" die set for a McGowan Barrel. They use reamers that are SAAMI spec. In other words, you don't have a Custom Chamber, ergo........you don't need custom dies. Just get a Hornady HS or OAL checker and see where your lands start and play with seating depth. That's about all you can do. You will have much more luck with standard dies and the Hornady or Stoney Point tool than you will otherwise.

Good Luck and ENJOY the Barrel!!

L.H. Clark

My experience has been Forester gives me the best loads and accuracy. I do use the Lee collet die though.
    Vietnam Vet, Jun 66 - Dec 67

Basic Member

I use Lee collet and FL dies for my 308,was using the Lee seater die too but was getting round out problems. I bought a Forster seater die and all is good now.