Thread: Bipod

teambcw

Bipod

Hello... I just picked up a Axis in 223 and was wanting to know if it is OK to mount a bi pod on it? I have never had one on a rifle before so if you have any suggestions on which one was good also. Thank you.

seanhagerty

Re: Bipod

I bought a cheap one from midwayusa and swap it between my rifles. I got the one that was 9-13" high. In retrospect, I should have gotten one that was 6-9". Seems like I am trying to raise up a lot when shooting prone with the one I have. It attaches to the wivel stud on my forend.

maliboy67

I have a Harris bipod on mine. See the pics in the accuracy thread in this section.

for the little recoil of a 223 go get a utg tactical from cheaper than dirt,save the money from the harris and use it for a scope

wrvet05

i have a harris on my savage edge 7mm08 and works great swivel lug mounted is great if walking distance however it does add a substantial amout of weight you dont notice till you start hiking.

DaKahuna

I have a Caldwell swivel lug bipod that I use with my Axis .308. On two occasions now the sling swivel stud has pulled completely out of the stock.
    The last time was the weekend before last and I have since superglued the stud back into place.

Has anyone else experienced this problem?

Mathias

i use the non-swivel caldwell 6-9"on my .223, got it for $30ish from midwayUSA and have no issues other than having to trim a bit of metal out where it mounts to the swivel stud. havent had the stud pull out or anything, but i just use mine for target shooting, nothing too rough.

thomae

Quote Originally Posted by DaKahuna

I have a Caldwell swivel lug bipod that I use with my Axis .308. On two occasions now the sling swivel stud has pulled completely out of the stock.
    The last time was the weekend before last and I have since superglued the stud back into place.

Has anyone else experienced this problem?
    I had the same issue with my MKII wood stock.

My solution was to get a new stud with a machine screw thread and also countersink the hole from the barrel side. That way I could put it in with a nut threaded on (and used locktite) and I could still cut it off so that it was not sticking up into the barrel channel.

DaKahuna

Ideally I'd put a Pictinney mount on the bottom of the stock and be done with it but the stock on the Axis is not made to have additional holes drilled into it. It's hollow and has ribs running through it. If anyone has any ideas I am open to suggestions on a path forward.

Basic Member

I take it they make picatinny mounting style bipods? I had no idea. Never really looked into bipods all that much to be honest.
    Couple rf's, couple cf's, and 1 12g.

Everything I once held dear
    I count it all as lost

DaKahuna

They might. Most of the Picatinny setups I have seen use a slight stud bipod with an adapter.