Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anybody inlet the Choate Tactical for the CDI bottom metal themselves?

Basic Member

Anybody inlet the Choate Tactical for the CDI bottom metal themselves?

Got the stock. Thinking about ordering the metal and doing it myself. Anyone else do this and if so, what's involved? I could just send it to Jeff to do but kind of like doing this kind of stuff.
    Thanks

Basic Member
    Send to Jeff for a good fit.

Basic Member
    Do you have the bottom bolt release Choate? The cdi accustock bottom metal is supposed to drop in. I'm going to get one for my Choate this year.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by missed View Post
    Do you have the bottom bolt release Choate? The cdi accustock bottom metal is supposed to drop in. I'm going to get one for my Choate this year.
    I do have the trigger bolt release. So it is a drop in on this one?? Anyone else know for sure? Thanks

Basic Member
    To get the "for sure" answer give Jeff a call and he will tell you the best options.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetpig View Post
    I do have the trigger bolt release. So it is a drop in on this one?? Anyone else know for sure? Thanks
    I swore I had an email from him confirming this but can not seem to find it at the moment. I would give him a call.

Basic Member
    Thanks all, Yes, I sent him an email just before posting here. Awaiting a reply!!
    Pig

Basic Member
    OK all, this from Jeff:

"Hi, it’s a good bit of cutting, Try it slowly depending on the equipment you have..a Dremel is gonna take forever lol. but that's a great stock to use..we can inlet it and send it back to you for $60 shipped easy breezy.. thanks

Jeff"

Again, mine is a 116 Accustock/Accutrigger/trigger guard bolt release. Looks like I will send it his way for perfection.

buxman66
    It might be nice if you explained who "jeff" is for the uninitiated. Is this someone @ cdi
    precision?

Basic Member
    Sorry Bux, Jeff IS CDI.

buxman66
    Thanks piggy! I did some research after posting that ▲ and came to that conclusion. I'm seriously considering doing the dbm conversion after I fire some test rounds to see if p.o. didn't screw up anything on it. The action/ barrel/bolt is @ my lgs as of now having the muzzle threaded.thanks for clearing it up though.

Basic Member
    Got the Choate tactical last wednesday, I really like this stock. Folks have replied plenty about the free space around the barrel. They do make it look pretty good though. Had all intent on sending it immediately to CDI for bottom metal install but.... Big shoot coming up Fri and I just could not resist installing the stock. I can not wait to shoot this thing! Mine was original accustock and factory DBM. I will just have run it single shot this week before I send it off. I really like the feel of it especially the forend. The grip area is a tad big in my opinion but it is comfortable With an open finger glove on, it would be too much. It weighs a little over a pound more than my accustock but balances pretty good. I would have no problem packing it on a hunt. I do like the multiple sling points so the rifle can lay flat on the shoulder or back when packing. I don't like that the rear sling points rattle and make quite a bit of noise. If B&C and Choate could come together, they could make the ultimate stock!

buxman66
    There's a little play w/ the sling attachment points I agree. I'm gonna pull the pin to me on the side I'm attaching to, and put a nylon bushing on it to pull the slack up and secure w/a spring clip to hold it. Should be noiseless then. I think the forearm points are worst than the rear though, iirc.

Basic Member
    My forearm attachment points swivel but are tight with no noise or rattle at all. Same plan for the rear points for me. As far as the slider sling/bipod attachment, I can see I am going to have to drill and tap it for a lock screw. I can't see how it could be secure at all without some way to lock it down.

buxman66
    When the bipod is attached to the slider, the thumb set-screw of the bipod locks it in place. This enables you to slide your bipod to where you would want it up and down the forearm, in varying terrain. Your sling would be to the side attachment point.

Basic Member
    I heard from some other sources that it still isn't very secure. Slips. Don't have personal experience yet.

buxman66
    Thanks for the heads up. I don't have exp.w/ it yet either in the field.

Wildboarem
    I mounted the front bipod adapter and it will slip forward under recoil. If you mount the adapter and then remove the forward most screw (it's the area I like my bills up front) add a washer an reinstall. Slide the adapter forward against the now raised screw (only the thickness of the washer) tighten bipod and shoot. Haven't had my bipod scooch a skosh since.

buxman66
    Copy that.thanks Wildboarem!

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetpig View Post
    Got the Choate tactical last wednesday, I really like this stock. Folks have replied plenty about the free space around the barrel. They do make it look pretty good though. Had all intent on sending it immediately to CDI for bottom metal install but.... Big shoot coming up Fri and I just could not resist installing the stock. I can not wait to shoot this thing! Mine was original accustock and factory DBM. I will just have run it single shot this week before I send it off. I really like the feel of it especially the forend. The grip area is a tad big in my opinion but it is comfortable With an open finger glove on, it would be too much. It weighs a little over a pound more than my accustock but balances pretty good. I would have no problem packing it on a hunt. I do like the multiple sling points so the rifle can lay flat on the shoulder or back when packing. I don't like that the rear sling points rattle and make quite a bit of noise. If B&C and Choate could come together, they could make the ultimate stock!
    B&C is missing the boat not servicing the Savage LA...its inletting stupid...in most instances the stock blank is the same LA or SA...the inletting program is done by CNC ...so pop in hte blank, add the software and cut it...but they refuse so LA Savage owners are forced to spend $$$$ on Manners or McMillan or Choate...no middle $$$ option like B&C...sucks to own a LA...

I said that to say I have a 110 in a CHOATE TACTICAL Stock...for what it is...a poor mans A5 I LOVE it...absolutely love it...I do wish I had more options though...

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CAPTBEACH View Post
    B&C is missing the boat not servicing the Savage LA...its inletting stupid...in most instances the stock blank is the same LA or SA...the inletting program is done by CNC ...so pop in hte blank, add the software and cut it...but they refuse so LA Savage owners are forced to spend $$$$ on Manners or McMillan or Choate...no middle $$$ option like B&C...sucks to own a LA...

I said that to say I have a 110 in a CHOATE TACTICAL Stock...for what it is...a poor mans A5 I LOVE it...absolutely love it...I do wish I had more options though...
    Agree! I have the medalist on a 700 though and I do not like the forend at all.

dragonfly
    Talked to Pam at CDI on friday, ordered CDI dbm, LA short box conversion, with Choate tactical stock. Package deal, they inlet the stock, include's Choate tactical stock, CDI dbm, and one 10 round AI 308 mag. $535.00. 2-3 week lead time I think its worth the little extra money to pay to have the inletting done. At least the first time. That way I know what it should look like

This is for a budget f-t/r build, I could of saved some money and just went with the Choate tactical and shot the rifle single shot, but I like the idea of having a detachable magazine feed/ multi purpose rifle and this seemed the easiest way to go.
    Donor rifle; used Savage 111 in 30/06 $150.00 . Project plans: criterian bull 28" 1 in 10 308 win, heavy duty recoil lug , squared and trued barrel nut from northland supply.
    dragonfly

Basic Member
    I sent my Choate Tactical to them last week to be inleted and fit. Am very eagerly awaiting it's return. Very eagerly...

buxman66
    Keeping tabs on this thread as this is an option im thinking of doing.

Quote Originally Posted by dragonfly View Post
    Talked to Pam at CDI on friday, ordered CDI dbm, LA short box conversion, with Choate tactical stock. Package deal, they inlet the stock, include's Choate tactical stock, CDI dbm, and one 10 round AI 308 mag. $535.00. 2-3 week lead time I think its worth the little extra money to pay to have the inletting done. At least the first time. That way I know what it should look like
    I *highly* recommend running a 204/223 extended bolt baffle when using the CDI Savage LA/308 mag box DBM. Doing this, your bolt throw will only be 1/4" longer than a standard Savage short action. I run this setup on my 110 LA 223AI and it is great.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast