PDA

View Full Version : Sceery Howler Kit....help?

Flatlander.54
10-30-2009, 07:02 PM
Im new to hand calls and just got a Sceery Howler kit at my local gun shop, it comes with an instructional video tape. But, found out our old VHS player no longer works...Ive messed around with the call a while, (its an open reed call) but this thing sounds nothing like a coyote howl. Do you have to blow the dickens out of these things or what? Any help would be appreciated greatly since Im not able to play the instructional tape. Thanks.

BrentWin
10-30-2009, 08:48 PM
Press your lip down on the reed about 1/2" from the tip. Make a couple of hard puffs while still holding the reed against the tone board. This should make the "yips". Then while still holding the reed down, blow a long drawn out breath thru the call. This will make the howl. Practice this a few times and then start slowly tilting the big end of the up. This will drop the pitch, like a coyote does at the end of the howl. Keep playing with it, you'll find the volume of air and pitch.

In all honesty, most factory howlers are a lot harder to use than customs. Take a look at the calls on the links bleow. Both of these guys make great howler that are very reasonable, Around $30-$40.

http://www.carverpredatorcalls.com/

http://www.yellerdogcalls.com/predator-calls.html

Flatlander.54
10-30-2009, 09:41 PM
Thanks brent, much appreciated! I have played around a little more and am beginning to get the hang of it. Im deffinately going to get some custom calls when I have some extra cash.

Three44s
11-16-2009, 02:40 AM
I had better luck with mine after I ran after a couple of rabbits and wacked a few mice ...........

Just kidding.

I see you are getting the hang of it ........ but one thing to remember is that you are at ground zero when you are blowing a howler.

When you listen to a coyote ..... you are hearing it at a distance .........

It's what your call sounds like at a distance that will matter to a coyote.

If you can ........ go out ........ without the serious intent of drawing blood right away and just play with some 'otes in a place you don't care to hunt much .... in other words .... don't educate your favorite "honey hole" coyotes. And practice.

Best way is whatever the coyotes are saying ............ just mock them with whatever they throw at you. REALLY pisses them off ...... and you can actually tell if you are giving as good as you are getting!

And also play with it every chance you get ...... in the field and in your neighbor's back yard ....... kidding on the neighbor bit ....... unless you don't like him ......

And you should peek in on this web site:

http://www.predatormastersforums.com/forums/ubbthreads.php

Over there ....... I'm passing out this web site ...... it's only fair that it cuts both ways ........

Regards

Three 44s

desertdog
12-03-2009, 10:14 PM
whats up, with open reed calls it takes a Little more practice but i like them more because you can make alot of different sounds. hope this helps? 8) dd