PDA

View Full Version : 6.5 X 55 Swede loads????

L.H. Clark
05-31-2011, 12:35 AM
Hey all! I've done the search thing and am not finding much info. on loads for the 6.5 Swede. I've got one built, (been built for 5-6 months) and am just now getting around to getting serious about getting it dialed in. Anyway, I know WBM and a few others have tons of experience with the Swede. I believe Bill "WBM" is messing with the the 6.5 Creedmoor right now, but anyway..........

I ordered a 1-8" Twist from McGowan and it says so on my invoice that came with the barrel,..BUT....I just noticed that ON THE BARREL it says "1-8.5" SO...........I guess it's an 8.5. Not a huge deal I guess but I am a bit disappointed that McGowan didn't get it right BUT MORE IMPORTANTLY......that I didn't NOTICE????? :-[ I am a bit embarrassed really.

The good news is that it seems to shoot like a house on fire. I mounted a scope that I use for checking a barrel out and I kind of used a little "battle field expedience" by cutting some plastic shims out of a Hornady .45 ACP ammo box and put them under the cheap a$$ Weaver #413 one piece mount so that the scope would fit with the Wal-Mart steel Weaver rings that I had. (been around a bit, but all I could make work) and my left handed buddy and my Right handed self both shot one round after we got it dialed in a bit and both hit the same hole!!! We thought this was crazy so we did it again......both of us hit the same hole again....SOOO we did it again.........same hole!!! YIPPEEE!!!! I think that this is a good indication of an accurate barrel and setup, even if one of them was a fluke!!! This made me much more interested in the Swede..... Now I want some advice on RL-17. I like IMR4831 but I am open to advice....... Any ideas? This barrel seems to like Hornady 129 SST's and 4831 so far. I'd like to find some more loads. I have 120gn, 140gn, 129gn, pills in Nosler, Hornady, Sierra Flavor. ANY loads you guys have with RL-17, Vhita Vouri, and ONE more powder of your choice that you like for the Swede would be great. BTW, WBM, (Bill), has given me some great Load Data and I am Grateful, but need more.........

Thank You All for the HELP and ADVICE...........

L.H. Clark

Stu
05-31-2011, 06:41 AM
140 Berger's, 142 SMK's over 44.5 gr.of Rl 17 shoots great in my 8.5 twist Mcgowen. Under 1/2 moa at 2875 fps. BUT... THAT IS OVER MAX. Alliant's website gives 38.5 gr. at 2508 fps.

Hammer
05-31-2011, 11:01 AM

Ought to try the 160 RN-FMJ bullets.

seanhagerty
05-31-2011, 12:13 PM
I have had some ok luck with RL22.

skoger
05-31-2011, 02:03 PM
I have built over 100 of the swedes, have some great load data worked up over 2 years, trying over 30 bullett and powder combo's, i will be glad to share these with you ifvyou pm me. I have loAds with the 85,120,140-142,&160 gr bullets. Iworked these loads up over 20 years ago, recenly ran them thru quickloqd and theycame out super efficent. IMR-3031 is the powder I use. Holler back.

L.H. Clark
06-02-2011, 08:03 PM
Thank you for the feedback. I've found quite a bit on the web now. I have the habit of running to the SavageShooters forum when I have a question as if there isn't a whole World Wide Web out there!!!

But this is still the best forum!

okie2
06-15-2011, 08:17 PM
ALL THE LOADS YOU SHOULD NEED
NOTICE THE 85 GRAIN LOAD WITH 2520 POWDER 3519 FPS
http://ammoguide.com/cgi-bin/ai.cgi?sn=BhKIBIodBM&catid=19