PDA

View Full Version : Build list

memilanuk
05-30-2011, 07:52 PM
Okay, for whatever reason I have this strange urge to build a .300WM rifle... ;)

Thought I might try one of these Stevens 200 actions for a base... here's my proposed build list so far. Sounds like I might be able to shop around and get some things a little cheaper i.e. I put the Shilen barrel on there just for the heck of it. I've had Lothar-Walther before in other calibers with good/great results and they are a tad cheaper... but I kind of want to try a Shilen. Could go either way on that one. I see in another thread someone bought a Stevens 200 (whole rifle) for something crazy like $180?!? Gotta find me one of those ;)

Anywho, here's the list:

Item Description: Supplier: Cost:
Stevens 200 LA CF .473 bolt face NSS $235
Shilen 26" stainless select match barrel .300 WM NSS $339
Savage barrel nut, blued, small shank Midway $10.49
Savage magnum .532 bolt head (complete) Midway $37
SSS Competition trigger SSS $97
Choate Tactical stock, 110 LA stagger feed Tactical Works $220.00
Choate 3-way adj. Buttplate Tactical Works $80
CDI Precision bottom mettal for 110 LA CDI $209
Inletting stock for bottom metal CDI $60
Karsten cheekpiece Karsten $68
EGW Sav LA flat-back 20MOA picatinny rail Optics Planet $29.90

Total: $1,288

Am I missing anything (besides a scope and the kitchen sink)?

TIA,

Monte

airaddict
05-30-2011, 08:12 PM
i have the same problem...lol. heres a few hints to help you.

first.......i thought the stevens action were round rear?

gunbroker has a couple of rifles listed as parts guns under stevens i think. the couple i saw had like a screw stuck in the front base mount hole but that is easily taken care of.

brian
i kind of think u can shop around and get a cheap stevens on gunbroker and sell the parts you dont want or need to lower the ultimate cost of the receiver. just be sure to get a more popular LA caliber so you have an easier time turning it around on here. theres always someone looking for a cheap factory barrel to mess around with.

5spd
05-30-2011, 09:38 PM
I saw a new Savage 111 7mm mag, in a gun shop sunday at $275 looked brand new that would of been a perfect starting point.

tammons
05-30-2011, 09:52 PM
Yep, flat back is an older action.

You want a round back rail.

memilanuk
05-30-2011, 10:00 PM
Okay, wasn't sure about whether the Stevens had the flat or round rear receiver. I'd seen one review of the mount that I listed that said the guy got it for his Stevens 200, so I thought they must be flat like the older Savages were.

Any issues w/ the action being a CF and the stock being for stagger feed, given that I'm using bottom metal that uses AI mags?

airaddict
05-30-2011, 11:00 PM
search savage 111 in gunbroker. theres a lot of good rifles for under 300. i saw a 7 mag for $247.

memilanuk
05-30-2011, 11:46 PM
One of my 'hang-ups' with buying a used donor rifle off the bargain rack at the local gun-n-pawn shop or off gunbroker.com... besides taking the chance of borrowing someone else's problems and f-ups (not a *lot* they can do to the action, which is all I really care about - everything else is going bye-bye) is that I've done that in the past, and I've yet to sell the barrel and stock - years later. Cheap a$$ stocks and barrels from bottom end rifles go for so little that its almost more hassle than its worth to part them out, screw around shipping this piece to that guy, that piece to another guy, etc.

Buying a bare action has its appeal - no other bits to get rid of. Not saying that I won't end up going the pawn-shop route, but the price would have to be *significantly* better to justify the expenditure of my *time*.

memilanuk
05-31-2011, 12:13 AM
ah. Two things I forgot:

Black tactical bolt handle - SSS - $42

Standard shank recoil lug - SSS - $28

L.H. Clark
05-31-2011, 12:49 AM
Not trying to take anything away from SSS, but Jim at Northland has the Recoil Lug you will need and they are great. Also, he has the barrel nut wrench you will need. (Unless you have that) Wait a minute........You have been a member for a while.......I assume you have the tools........but if not, Jim does. Also, you will need a Go Gauge. I know you can do it with a stick of brass, but if you don't have a stick fired in your particular chamber, you are much better off with the gauge because you can set it really tight and still know you are safe with a piece of clear scotch tape.

Other than that, your list looks good. I wouldn't be afraid of the used Savage Action, if you've got eyes in your head and you've built a few Savage rifles, there is nothing I can think of that would be screwed up on an Action that you won't see immediately. Again, not to take away from Jim at NSS. Actually, I must admit, buying an action from Jim would be really great. You are right, no hassle, and you know it's Good-To-Go when you get it.

Good luck on your build. I love the .300 Win Mag and so, it would seem, do the United States Marine Corps......SWEET.

GaCop
05-31-2011, 07:16 AM
If you have Academy Sports in your area, they run excellent sales on the Stevens fairly often. I got a long action back in January for $179 and tax ($197 total OTD). That rifle is now a 6.5X47 lapua. I kept the 270 barrel because it shot extremely well with handloads I tried before I tore it down.

airaddict
05-31-2011, 08:30 AM
yeah, i take all that into consideration when buying from gunbroker or a used rifle from the gunshop to part out. i also have to factor in shipping charges, ffl transfer fees ($15 from one guy on the other side of town, or $25 from a gunshop up the road from work) and then trying to sell everything and deaing w paypal fees and fedex fees and packing everything up. sometimes its more of a pain than anything else.

the academys here in san antonio havent had stevens. not sure why. they carry more mossbergs, remmys and weatherby's. our walmarts have savage package rifles for around $350 which is a bit high but not to bad. dicks sporting good has them too but the price runs the same as walmart.

maybe ill go the route of buying the action from NSS so they can T&T it before the send it to me or do without it and just nitride it and sink that extra cash into a nice comp trigger or accutrigger. i did work my accutrigger down to 14oz. thats scary light!

brian

JCalhoun
06-04-2011, 04:15 PM
Monte;

If you can get the donor rifle in a 300WM or 7mm RM you won't need to buy a bolt head.

Not sure how the magazine will work since the staggered mag box is attached to the bottom of the receiver. I'd imagine some sort of modification would need to be made.

You may want to get a 10 year old Savage 110 and send it off to SSS for Fred's timining/truing/trigger work. I really like how mine turned out. You also will have a lot more options when it comes to stocks. Fred could also fit a Brux barrel while he has it.

Anyway, the Academy here doesn't carry Savage/Stevens either. I tried to have one shipped in from another store and was told no way. ???

Off-topic for Monte;

You fellas going to Perry this year?

memilanuk
06-04-2011, 04:47 PM
I had a line on an older 110 (flat-back) magnum action... but given the timing (trip to Ireland/Scotland, etc.) it looks like it'll have to wait.

Perry? It'll be a cold day in...

Lodi this fall for FCNC, yes.