PDA

View Full Version : Glass bedding a pre-accustock factory stock?

captainjoe
05-30-2011, 10:25 AM
I have a new, unfired 116 FHSS 300 Win Mag with the old style synthetic stock before the Accustock. This is my first Savage rifle and I plan on buying a stock for it in the future. In the mean time, I am interested in what I could do to this stock to help with accuracy. Would there be any benefit in pillar and glass bedding this stock? I am interested in doing this more for the experience to learn how to improve a stock, rather than this stock in itself. Plus, if I am successful, I get the benefit of having a better stock until I decide on what I want to swap it out with.

Suggestions and ideas welcomed! :)

stumpjumper400
05-30-2011, 11:31 AM
I have never seen where bedding didn't benefit the accuracy. There are many types of compound to do it with. Bedrock glass, acra glass, JB weld, and devcon just to name a few. I'm sure I'll get seconds on this one but if I were you I would go straight for devcon steel putty and neutral shoe polish. I have used some of the others and in my opinion it the easiest and best to work with. One thing to note is if you ever plan on getting a better recoil lug, install it before you bed in your final stock choice. I have had to take out devcon and glass bedding before and it can be a real pain to grind out. There are many articles on how to do it. Just make sure you get release agent on whatever might touch the action or parts or ;you run the risk of cutting the stock off the barreled action instead of popping it out. others that probably have more experience will come along in a bit.

Steve

ellobo
05-30-2011, 07:28 PM
If cash is a problem check out Boyds. A laminate or walnut stock are around 100$ and are mostly drop ins. The 2 most popular stocks are the JRS and the new Prairie Hunter. I am planning on two Prairie hunters for two of my rifles. I have used Boyds for a cou0ple of stock and they wre excellent.

El Lobo

GaCop
05-31-2011, 08:01 AM
Also use blue painter's tape on the front and sides of the recoil lug. The back side resting against the recoil shelf is left bare. I'd also put Kiwi neutral on the tape after it's applied. Bedding will help the tupperware stock a bit but you'll still have some flex in the thin area of the stock at the recoil lug cutout.

EL Lobo is right, you'll want to replace the factory stock with a better laminate or walnut. Brownell's has an unfinished stock (can't recall the manufacturer) that cost me around $60 last year. All it needed was final sanding and finishing along with glass bedding and it performed well. They also have it completely finished for about $100.

captainjoe
05-31-2011, 08:09 AM
I am very interested in Boyd's stocks. I am also looking at a range of other ones. Money isn't so much the issue, but rather design and type. I'm in no hurry and may even splash out for one of the expensive synthetics. I'll give the factory stock a bit of a play, see how it shoots, maybe bed it... then by then move onto what I want on the rifle permanently. I may change out the barrel with a match grade one at the same time. I presume it is better to change out the barrel before changing stocks, rather than after?

GaCop
06-02-2011, 07:34 AM
If you stay with a varmint weight barrel or sporter, and buy, or use a stock for that particular barrel diameter, stocks shouldn't be an issue.