PDA

View Full Version : 110-E advice, please

guynyuma
05-29-2011, 12:50 AM
Hello everyone,
I have a 110-E (308 win) that I bought new in 1968 (GemCo $85.00). It came with an adjustable trigger and I added a rubber recoil pad. The barrel at the muzzle end is slightly over 0.500" diameter so, it seems very light weight. When new, I immediately put 40 rounds through it and placed it in my vault. It’s been sitting in my vault since 1968 and it’s flawless. It’s only seen daylight when it gets a yearly oil massage. Recently, my interest in it has been renewed and I’m planning on using it quite often. To compensate for the stout recoil, I have considered machining a muzzle brake and threading the barrel. To do this, the front sight ramp must be removed and relocated. This will require the barrel to be re-blued, etc. I know if done properly, the job will come out just fine but, I also wonder if I’m doing this gun a great disservice by altering a pristine firearm so late in it’s life. On the other hand, I could use it “as-is” for an occasional shooter, tolerate the recoil and keep it in pristine condition.

Your opinions would be most appreciated.
Thanks

LHitchcox
05-29-2011, 08:44 AM
If it were me, I would install a Limbsaver recoil pad. They are amazing in how much felt recoil is reduced. Personally, I do not like muzzle brakes.

Uncle Jack
05-29-2011, 09:46 AM
Another vote for a Limbsaver recoil pad. I certainly wouldn't screw around with a 40 year old rifle in pristine condition by adding a muzzle break.

uj

ellobo
05-29-2011, 03:33 PM
Recoil terrible from a .308? Maybe I am just a different kind of guy, but I shoot a .35 Whelen without recoil problems and it has a solid plastic buttplate. I have shot thousands of rounds from a .30-06 including my M1 Garand and never got a bruised shoulder. I am 74, 220 lbs and 5'11". Am I just one tough SOB or is the younger generation not up to it? One thing I can say is that at the range I see many shoters that do not know how to hold a rifle and can understand why those guys get bruised. I can hardly wait for the replies to this one.

El Lobo

Uncle Jack
05-29-2011, 04:06 PM
".....One thing I can say is that at the range I see many shooters that do not know how to hold a rifle and can understand why those guys get bruised."

Ain't that the truth.....sometimes it's almost painful just to watch. It's amazing how many "Weatherby Eyebrows" you sometimes see by the end of the afternoon.

uj

GUNFANATIC
05-29-2011, 05:18 PM
"Weatherby Eyebrows"

Never heard it called that. Too funny! :D

guynyuma
05-29-2011, 06:26 PM
"Am I just one tough SOB or is the younger generation not up to it?"

I think you're being much to hard on yourself......you're probably a very nice guy.
I too shoot my M1 Garand all day and find the recoil less than objectionable however, the M1 is substantially heavier (almost 2.5-3x) than the 110.

My original question was about altering a 43 year old firearm. Altering the rifle will surely detract from the value but, I doubt that it has much if any value as a collectable regardless of it's excellent condition. I could be wrong.

GUNFANATIC
05-29-2011, 07:32 PM
"Am I just one tough SOB or is the younger generation not up to it?"

I think you're being much to hard on yourself......you're probably a very nice guy.
I too shoot my M1 Garand all day and find the recoil less than objectionable however, the M1 is substantially heavier (almost 2.5-3x) than the 110.

My original question was about altering a 43 year old firearm. Altering the rifle will surely detract from the value but, I doubt that it has much if any value as a collectable regardless of it's excellent condition. I could be wrong.

You're right. I still wouldn't add a muzzle break, but it ain't my rifle.

If it were me, I'd sell off the barrel and stock and just build exactly what you want. At the very least, I'd put a quality pad on it.