PDA

View Full Version : Ease of new barrel installation

tackleberry
05-27-2011, 10:50 AM
I am used to building Mausers...but recently I endeavored to change a Savage 110 out from a .30-06 to a .22-250.

Man...I am impressed with the ease of headspacing the new barrel..super easy...duh..why wouldn't everyone do this?

Now I'm planning on having a couple extra barrels for this rifle..maybe a 7mm-08 or a .257 Roberts.

I'll post a range report soon...

Uncle Jack
05-27-2011, 11:12 AM
Welcome to the party.

uj

LHitchcox
05-27-2011, 01:43 PM
The barrel nut is an open secret. many condemn the Savage for the "ugly" barrel nut, but it is beautiful to me. I can do my own barrel changes at home in less than 15 minutes.

Samdweezel05
05-27-2011, 07:47 PM
Extra barrels for a single action? Yeah, that all sounds fine until you realize you can buy an action for $250 and save the time of not having to switch it. And then there is the, "it won't shoot the same after I take it apart and change the barrel", excuse. Don't worry, I too planed to have only one action with several thousand barrels to switch back an fourth. Worked out good for me too.

tackleberry
05-30-2011, 10:52 PM
not sure how many i'll eventually have...i own two 110s now and older 110B and the newer 110C.
I own H&R handi rifles for that very reason..ability to switch barrels...

tackleberry
06-05-2011, 11:21 PM
finally took her out to the range and gave her a workout...happy to say the rifle worked well except the safety is balky and came home and adjusted the set screw on that. At the range I was placing shots on top of each other after I got the scope sighted in....very pleased, and it doesnt look like the action cares that it used to be a .30-06 and is now a .22-250 with a substantially shorter cartridge.

SMK Shoe
06-06-2011, 02:35 AM
I also started out with ONE tgt action and two barrels ( 22 BR and 6.5BR) now have four tgt actions, one SA with more barrels than actions. And in the process of ordering a 300 AAC pistol BBl ( cast lead for steels) a .223 wylde from NSS and another 6.5 X 47 lapua to have on the shelf. If you have OCD please stay away from the savages. I'll order a barrel and before it's delivered ( or even made) looking for the next one. This is addictive.

Con
06-06-2011, 04:01 PM
I'll order a barrel and before it's delivered ( or even made) looking for the next one. This is addictive.

Jeez that sounds like me ... no sooner had I built a 6x45 and I'm thinking another barrel in 6x45AI would be interesting.

To facilitate barrel swaps, I'm now considering having barrel nuts fitted with set screws and permanently attached ... that way you can just screw on and know the headspace is correct.
Cheers...
Con

ellobo
06-06-2011, 05:09 PM
Con, instead of set screws a witness mark on the barrel and reciever should do nicely.

El Lobo