PDA

View Full Version : Basic questions

durango
10-30-2009, 02:02 PM
Somewhere, I think that I ran across a statement that all of the target actions were cut for the large shank barrels--is this true?
Can you get a Stevens 200 with a solid bottem reciever (single shot)? Thanks, Steve

groupshooter22
10-30-2009, 02:44 PM
Yes on the target actions and no on the Stevens.

durango
10-30-2009, 05:30 PM
Well--that didn't go too well. Thanks for the response, Groupshooter. Since I already have 3 small shank Savages, I want to stay with all the same. If someone can direct me to a site with all the info on the Stevens, that would be fine, but I'd like to know the action screw spacing, magazine configuration, Can it be fit into a Boyds thumbhole (with a reasonable amount of woodworking), etc., etc.
FWIW, one of my existing Savages is a striker that I recently inletted into a home made laminated stock and I hope to get one more to play the switch barrel game on. Is anyone having any luck with selling off the plastic stocks from the doner guns?
Back to the precision actions, are the sporter and varmint actions LG or small?

Thanks Again, Steve

fatdaddy
10-30-2009, 06:58 PM
Welcome Steve,
The Stevens do not come single shot. You can make it a single shot with a 20.00, SINGLE-SHOT FOLLOWER from Savage Shooters Supply. I have 2 stevens 200 actions on boyd thumb hole stocks and left both repeaters. The screw spacing of the newer ones are more work, but if you own a dermel, your well on your way. no big deal.

tupperware stocks have very little value.

I dont know of a stevens site, but you found this one and its all you need...

The stevens is a savage action. Most short action savage spec. is the same except the trigger. The stevens do not have a accu-trigger. After market triggers for savage will work in stevens too

The screw spacing on staggered feed, older guns, is 4.25
newer center feed is 4.4, there is the problem with the boyd stocks. Last I knew, they only made the 4.25 spacing. I redrilled 2 and they have worked fine. Both have over 500 rounds down the tube now.

The blind mag on the staggered feed is attached to the action. It can be removed easy if you chose to do so.
The center feed mag will stay in the stock when action is removed. Again can be removed if you want with a small screw driver. Bill