PDA

View Full Version : 223 to 243 question..

unloaded
05-24-2011, 01:57 PM
I've got a model 11 in .223 Rem and have a .243 Win sportster barrel coming.

At Midway I've got a barrel nut wrench, reciever wrench, go gauges, bolt face and magazine box all in my cart.

Main question does the magazine box come with correct follower? If not can anybody point me to what I need there?
Here is the mag box: http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=575379?cm_cat=Cart&cm_pla=ProductDesc

Can I use parts in current boltface with the new one or should I order all the extra pieces (extractor, ejector...) while I'm at it?

Current firing pin is good for both?

Thank for any help, I've read the faq's and quite a few pages deep jut want to be sure.

peace.
unloaded

5spd
05-24-2011, 08:58 PM
Followers are sold seperate. I would buy the other parts for the bigger bolt head so you do not have to change them out, fire pin is good.
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=427817

unloaded
05-24-2011, 11:06 PM
Thanks, didn't think to look in the magazine section, figured they should be in Savage Parts area.
I'll get the small parts too, I saw some how-to videos with small parts and springs flying.
Are you 5spd on predatormasters too?

peace.
unloaded

5spd
05-25-2011, 07:53 PM
Thanks, didn't think to look in the magazine section, figured they should be in Savage Parts area.
I'll get the small parts too, I saw some how-to videos with small parts and springs flying.
Are you 5spd on predatormasters too?
peace.
unloaded
That would be me there also.
I was doing the same swap as you, but after putting the magazine box & follower on my FP10 SA and testing the .243 case it seemed that my bolt was not coming back for enought to pick up the brass so I put it on the back burner for now. I have not looked into the whys yet as I started another build.

bootsmcguire
05-25-2011, 08:00 PM
the 223 head comes with the baffle with the "dogleg" on it. For the 243 you will want to change to a standard baffle with your new bolt head. Otherwise your bolt won't cycle back far enough. Maybe I am stating the obvious here, but rather safe than sorry.

unloaded
05-25-2011, 11:19 PM
Thanks for the tip, I haven't seen a baffle change mentioned. I'll add one to my cart.

bootsmcguire
05-25-2011, 11:31 PM
You only have to do that when changing from a 223 to a 308 based round. Other way around you don't have to.

5spd
05-26-2011, 09:12 AM
the 223 head comes with the baffle with the "dogleg" on it. For the 243 you will want to change to a standard baffle with your new bolt head. Otherwise your bolt won't cycle back far enough. Maybe I am stating the obvious here, but rather safe than sorry.

Ahhh...I knew it had to be something very simple I missed since I did not have a 243/308 style bolt to look at to see the differences. Got one in my order bucket now.....thanks.