PDA

View Full Version : Remove Accutrigger for bedding job? or not?

barrel-nut
05-23-2011, 09:25 PM
Hi guys! I have a new Model 12 VLP single shot with the lightweight accu-trigger that is suffering from an unhappy union with its factory laminated stock. I would really like to attempt to remedy this situation by bedding it in Devcon. Problem is, I've never done this before, and it seems highly likely that I would get some of this stuff into the trigger mechanism. My question is, is it possible to remove the Accutrigger without fouling it up, and if so, how do you do it? It seems that bedding this action would be much simpler without the trigger attached, since there is no magazine cutout on this model, just a smooth round underside, with the exception of the trigger of course. Any help would be greatly appreciated; thanks in advance.

barrel-nut
05-23-2011, 09:40 PM
To clarify, my plan is to remove the trigger, then fill in the trigger inletted area in the stock with modeling clay when I bed the action. Then, after it cures, remove the barreled action, remove the clay from the stock and clean it up, re-install the accutrigger, and hopefully enjoy phenomenal accuracy for the rest of my days. Or, at least, make it better than it was. Am I on the right track with this, or should I be looking at this from a different angle?

82boy
05-23-2011, 11:00 PM
I ALWAYS remove the trigger before I bed ANY rifle.

bigcatdaddy
05-23-2011, 11:05 PM
Yup, pull the pin and remove it. Pay close attention to the spring and bolt release lever before you do it. This is the diffucult part of reassembly. Once you understand orientation of the spring...reassembly is a snap.

jpdown
05-23-2011, 11:18 PM
Removing the trigger assembly will make bedding a lot easier. I've put clay in those cuts before and it is a pain to clean out. I just put release agent on the everything and tape over those cutsthem. If you leave the trigger guard off when bedding the action, you can reach into the recess with a Q-tip and clean up the bedding compound that oozes out the rear. You'll need three hands to put the trigger assembly, spring and pin back in place.

barrel-nut
05-23-2011, 11:26 PM
Thanks all for the replies. Are there any springs or other small parts that will fly out or fall to pieces when I remove the pin, or will it all come off as one unit? Thanks.
Also, the safety button on the tang appears to have a part that goes through the tang and into the trigger mechanism; does the safety have to be removed or somehow "disconnected" before the trigger can be removed? Or does this part stay attached to the tang? Am I worrying too much about this? Should I just punch out the pin that holds the bolt release and trigger to the action and figure it out from there? Sorry, just don't want to get in over my head with this and not be able to put it back together correctly.

barrel-nut
05-24-2011, 12:41 AM
Well, took the plunge and pulled the pin... and it all came apart with surprisingly little drama. In fact, I was surprised by the relative simplicity of it all once I had it apart and could see "inside" of it. And I answered some of my own questions.. for those who may be curious... Yes, the safety mechanism does stay attached to the tang when you remove the trigger; however it is also easily removed by merely sliding it fully to the rear, and separating it into two pieces. And yes, I was worrying too much about this.
For the sake of my peace of mind, and so I could get some sleep tonight, I decided to see if I could reassemble the pieces. As jpdown stated, three hands are indeed useful for reinstalling the pin while simultaneously positioning the spring, but again, it all came back together with surprisingly little trouble.
Thanks to ya'll for giving me the little nudge that I needed to go ahead and do this; I'd been putting off bedding this rifle for a couple of months. Now I no longer have any excuse. And I knew that if there were any people anywhere who knew how to do this and would be willing to share some experience, I could find them here. Thanks again..

bsekf
05-24-2011, 08:13 AM
Haven't done it in a while, be careful when you put it back together. You have to use a little pressure to get the pin back in. I use a slave pin. It will go together several ways and only one is right!

Bill