PDA

View Full Version : How to add chamfer at the chamber end of threads???

tiny68
10-30-2009, 12:22 AM
I have a new barrel that will not headspace. It is a pre-fit. The go-gauge protrudes 0.130" from the barrel. That is in the range of other barrels I have for this action. It simply will not screw in enough to bottom on the gauge or come close (4 pieces of tape). Yes I removed the scope screws. Plenty of threads on the barrel. Barrel simply bottoms out before going in far enough. The only thing I can think of is that the threads are cut off perfectly square at the end of barrel. Most other of my barrels have a chamfer on the end.

What would be a simple way to add this? No lathe in my shop to do it with? Anybody got an idea other than a sander?

Yes the maker should fix it.... but you don't know the history of the barrel. Tiny

sharpshooter
10-30-2009, 03:13 AM
A belt sander would be my second choice if I didn't have a lathe. If I didn't have a belt sander, a file would suffice.
I'll bet I know where this barrel came from......they have put out many this way. Anybody who wants to get in the Savage barrel business aught to own a couple Savage rifles to check things with. ;D

tiny68
10-30-2009, 09:35 AM
Anybody who wants to get in the Savage barrel business aught to own a couple Savage rifles to check things with. ;D

You would think so.... :P :P :P This is the 3rd try with this barrel. The sad thing is the last time I sent them my action and headspace gauge. It screwed into the action fine and the gauge protrusion measured ok and I figured it was good to go. I haven't touched the barrel in 10 months. I am not sending it back again. I think I am going back to buying blanks and leaving it someone that gives a rat's a$$ to chamber and thread. :-\ :-\

Tim

sinman
10-30-2009, 11:53 AM
is your belt sander a hand one or a bench one? if its a bench one that should work fine, if its a hand one put it in a vice to hold it still. Is this from a popular company?

tiny68
10-30-2009, 09:33 PM
Is this from a popular company?

Yes. Shilen. I have held back bad mouthing them. McGowen however I am fixing to share my experiences with. I am waiting until I actually get a barrel in hand or a refund. More promises..... I think it is time to save up and buy a lathe. We have a gunsmithing program within 30 miles. I got it to headspace, but it any pretty..... tim

sinman
10-30-2009, 09:50 PM
if you have done some with a lathe its fairly easy to chamber a barrel, the lathe can get expensive and as sharp shooter said before tooling is very expensive. I have a small bin that holds my reamers and gauges in there is over $5,000 in there. But then again there is nothing like turning out a great looking barrel that will shoot lights out and its because you did the work. There is a big difference in quality when you are talking about barrels, when the owner of the company handles every single barrel you know its going to be perfect but you can't say that from someone who is looking just for a paycheck that is cutting your barrel. Look at sharp shooter, Brux, myself and other small barrel companys and see their quality over mass produced barrels. Also its fun as hell cutting barrels.

dcloco
10-30-2009, 10:00 PM
Have you cleaned the threads in the receiver?

tiny68
10-30-2009, 11:32 PM
Have you cleaned the threads in the receiver?

Sure. I do that everything I pull a barrel. I add a 45 bevel with a handsander, cleaned the threads up with a file and it worked perfect. tim