PDA

View Full Version : Well you get what you pay for..

lonestardiver
05-23-2011, 09:03 PM
I had recently bought a new model 12 4x4 in .204 and was excited about getting my vortex crossfire
mounted on it...so I cheesed out and bought a weaver one piece base for it.... I figured it
would be a good short term solution until I could discretely source an egw base for it....

Base went on fine...everything looked good..until I went to cycle the bolt...nada.
Locked up solid.

So I figured I'd reverse my steps...scope off...started undoing the screws on the base and everything
freed up.

The screws in front are too long... :-[ :-[ :-[
Weaver goes into the toolbox for future reference and surgery on the screws...

I can obtain a blackhawk mount locally.. Any thoughts on those or should I hold out on an
EGW ?

pdog06
05-23-2011, 09:55 PM
shorten the Weaver screws or just get an EGW.. They are only $39.

Double check on the weaver screws and make sure that there isnt 1 screw that is a tad shorter than the rest. If so that one needs to go in the hole closest to the barrel nut.

lonestardiver
05-23-2011, 10:00 PM
All four are the same length...I should have been clued in by the fact the front screw was was too long..but at
least is doesn't go all the way through... It was the second screw from the front that locked up the bolt...

EGW it is...

tammons
05-23-2011, 10:25 PM
Its typical and happens with a lot of mounts.

You just need to file the front screw to fit.

lonestardiver
05-24-2011, 10:20 PM
I can do that....what are the threads on those ??

helotaxi
05-24-2011, 11:11 PM
The receiver is tapped for 6-40 screws.

memilanuk
05-25-2011, 12:15 AM
All four are the same length...I should have been clued in by the fact the front screw was was too long..but at
least is doesn't go all the way through...

That front one is probably dicking up the threads on your barrel... it'll make it real fun to un-screw that barrel when/if you ever go to swap barrels with deformed threads in one spot.

Ask me how I know that... >:(