PDA

View Full Version : Scope Issues grrr!!!!

farmboy
05-23-2011, 07:07 PM
Removed factory .243 barrel and installed new .308 1-10 twist w/new recoil lug on Stevens action. factory barrel was bear to remove. Bedded all into home modified (Stevens)stock. Used same scope that was on the action prior. Purchased WW 180gr power point from Wally World for sight in and brass waiting for dies and components to arrive. Couldn't group better than 6"+ Somewhere during all this scope must have taken a dump. Ring and base screws, and action screws were triple checked.

Very disappointing day

ellobo
05-23-2011, 08:21 PM
After the change did you check to see if the barrel and tang are still free floated? Is that 6 inch group at 100 yards? Did you somehow swap the scope mounting screws front and back. The front scope rail mounting screw may now be on the rear and the rear screws on the front and are too long and bottomed out on the barrel. It happens, did to me once.

El Lobo

farmboy
05-23-2011, 09:25 PM
Barrel gauranteed free floating, 1" gap. Ring, bottom half, and bases were not removed. Burris signature rings in Leopold mounts have been on action for 2 yrs w/ no problems solid mount. Only real change was to remove sporter weight barrel and replace, and to redo bedding for thicker recoil lug. due to difference in stainless trigger guard and OEM stevens that was also bedded.

Didn't have enough target backer to verify group dispersement but 6" @ 100 was minimum.

Smokey262
05-24-2011, 09:45 PM
How about testing different ammo before you go crazy trying to fix something that might not be broken?

GaCop
05-25-2011, 07:16 AM
What brand is the scope? +1 what "smokey 262" said.

tammons
05-25-2011, 09:18 AM
I would not put much faith in Remi ammo but 6" does seem big.
I have had a Remi ammo that shot all over the place.

What kind of barrel. It could also be a barrel problem.

Which scope ??

farmboy
05-25-2011, 12:20 PM
Scope is Leupold 4-12 Rifleman. I know not high end but it is what I had on hand. Barrel is high end match grade, 10 twist. With 6"+ grouping I doubt ammo is an issue. Barrel problem is possible, and if so I have no doubt it will be made right. But I tend to think yhe scope probably went south. I will remove scope from another rifle and test in couple weeks when I get home. Working several hours away from home severly handicaps shooting time. I have thought of several issues that can be problems: bedding, problem with home mod stock, problem in action itself, barrel, and bad quality ammo. I see most of this as causing groups that should be <.5 gro to 2" or so. The shotgun sized grouping/pattern makes me think scope.
With as many "Griswold" moments as I have at this age it&#39;s quite likely I&#39;m all wet also. :-[

It gets disappointing to spend all this time on a project and encounter problems with limited time to work them out. During the week off(includes trqvel time) that I had the weather (rain and snow) let up so I had 4 hours of range time. This also comes at the expense of chores that pile up while I&#39;m gone. Many folks go thru this type of thing and it is simply now my turn. I am darn fortunate to have a job that allows me to feed my habit.

GaCop
05-25-2011, 12:25 PM
Keep us posted on how it goes....................when you have the time. I too would suspect the scope. Trying another will let you know if that&#39;s true or not.

WYcoyote
05-25-2011, 06:47 PM
As mentioned above, make sure the front base screws aren&#39;t too long and bottoming out on the barrel, even though you didn&#39;t remove them. Even if the screws feel tight the base really is not.

farmboy
07-19-2011, 08:49 PM
Put Burris signature series scope on. Groups shrunk to 4.5". Ordered new B&C medalist stock, additional bedding compound etc. Due to life pressures haven&#39;t had time to proceed any further. Working out of town sucks! Hopefully I&#39;ll have time to test new stock out in the next 2 weeks.

Modified stock shot well as 243 sporter. Possible bedding mistake, and poor work on the outside lines of stock may be too much for additional recoil of 308. Basic idea of stock design was fine, execution sucked. Sharpshooter said sometime back that the cost in $ and time to properly modify one of these stocks isn&#39;t worth it, better off to buy a stock. He is definately right.

farmboy
07-25-2011, 04:04 PM
Bolted the barreled action into the Medalist stock with the help of pillar shims from Ernie the gunsmith. L clip from magazine canted the action and it needed a slight raise on fron action pillar. Assembeled 20 rounds with 175 gr VLD&#39;s. After zeroing and refining my bench manners shot a .319 5 shot group.

Stevens 200 action
B&C Medalist stock
Shilen 26" .308 prefit from NSS
Winchester 1x fired brass
Berger 175 gr VLD seated at touch
42gr Ramshot TAC
Fed match primer

gotcha
07-25-2011, 07:51 PM
AAAWWW ! That makes me feel warm & fuzzy all over. Ya&#39; gotta love it when a story has a happy ending!......... Excuse me, I need to get another box of Kleenex.............sniff :&#39;(