PDA

View Full Version : hey savage barrel swappers

fred45
05-23-2011, 05:32 PM
I have never owned a Savage until last week. I killed my first mule deer with a barrowed Stevens 30-06 back in 1982. I have been trying to buy that rifle for 20+ years. Last week I ran into one of the older Savage Scout rifles, I like the gun alot, the stock not so much. I am having a time finding a replacement stock for it, I am thinking of getting another model 10 in say 243 for my son and swaping out the short 308 barrel to the inclosed mag action and stock, is this a big deal or is there someone who has ideas on another stock for the Scout.

Thanks

ellobo
05-23-2011, 06:18 PM
If you want a wood stock, walnut or laminate and dont want to spend a bunch of money, check out Boyds. The JRS or new Prairie Hunter stocks are excellent. Look over the Savage section to make sure what they have will fit the mounting screw spacing on your rifle.

El Lobo

fred45
05-23-2011, 06:33 PM
I do not object to wood If we can keep the weight down

Thanks

goatboy
05-24-2011, 02:06 AM
As far as synthetic you could take a look at a Manners MCS-SL. They make them inletted for CF or SF. They do take quite a long time to make and can get expensive but would be excellent for a sporter weight rifle. Stockade also makes sporter weight stocks but I have never looked at one. I think they have a bit of a wait also.

skamaniac
05-24-2011, 06:44 AM
Watch the classified for a used one or check out Gunbroker.com or even Ebay.