PDA

View Full Version : Last build complete/Quick on/off muscle brake

358Hammer
05-22-2011, 04:57 PM
Last build complete/Quick on/off muscle brake.

http://i311.photobucket.com/albums/kk460/emeraldislandlover/SavageFamilyofRUMS.jpg

I just finished the 375RUM on the left. 338 Edge, 300 RUM and Lisa's 338 WSM
Benchmark 19" 3 groove barrel and if you look close you can see a shiny spot on the bottom of the muscle brake.
Benchmark barrels took on the muscle brake on put a collar with screw so any and everyone can attach the muscle brake and orient it.

I have shot it 25 times and since its a Benchmark barrel it is boringly another one holer!
Nitrided everything and I might add that I built this to shoot nothing but 235gr Barnes bullets. The throat was cut with a reamer for 300grMK's so I am able to seat the Barnes bullet flush with the bottom of the neck. An average of well past 3000fps with 100grs of Rel17 is the standard.

http://i311.photobucket.com/albums/kk460/emeraldislandlover/OurBobcat.jpg

I am now gearing up to spend the next 2 years developing my remote cabin site here on Kodiak Island. We bought a Bobcat skid steer with multiple attachments. The cabin will soon be a house so we can spend my time on our salmon stream and shooting the deer and goats on our own property. In addition to the two salmon runs up the stream we have both crab and halibut 600 yards from our beach in deep water. 2 miles of shooting range (ocean) in front of the cabin and as soon as I get the skid steer down to the cabin I will have a 500 yard corridor out my back porch/loading room.

I have to put the 26" nitrided 224 minicoop barrel on and action with rifle stock and do some velocity testing. SHould be running the Barnes 45 grain brass bullet at around 5300fps!

Neal

dwm
05-22-2011, 05:49 PM
Looks like a whole lotta fun!

Would you please post a picture of this:

Benchmark barrels took on the muscle brake on put a collar with screw so any and everyone can attach the muscle brake and orient it.

Balljoint
05-22-2011, 05:53 PM
Hope you also got the rubber track that goes with your Bobcat as it just may get MUDDY at your home site before your done

358Hammer
05-22-2011, 06:37 PM
http://i311.photobucket.com/albums/kk460/emeraldislandlover/002-4.jpg

dwm
05-22-2011, 06:57 PM
Does Benchmark sell the brakes separately?

I have been thinking about having a brake put on but I want one that I can index myself.

Looks like this design would work great!

05-22-2011, 07:17 PM
That is a heck of an idea, do they make em in stainless?

358Hammer
05-22-2011, 08:28 PM
Yes Benchmark sells the brake alone.
It is an awesome idea.
These brakes are stainless and Nitrided which gives it the color and corrosion/erosion resistance like nothing else. One can Nitride chrome-moly-Nitride it and it won't rust and it will look exactly as in the picture.

Be very careful as you contemplate putting a brake on the outside or O.D. of a barrel. Many factory barrels I have viewed the past ten years the bore is not centered in the material. I have seen them off as far as .020. The relief over bore in the pictured brakes are.020. If you clamp one of these brakes on the end of a barrel who's bore isn't center you could quite easily shoot that brake down the range and out of sight.

The brake pictured is threaded to match the threaded shoulder on my barrel. Then slit so I can take it off for this picture,cleaning and orienting.
Neal