PDA

View Full Version : I just cant decide, axix or model 11 fcns....

Pages : 1 2 [3]

bootsmcguire
06-07-2011, 12:47 AM
People make many assumptions. One being that just because a particular feature is on an inexpensive rifle, and its not the way "everyone else" does it, it MUST be junk, right?

I am a logical kinda of guy, if it was better than metal and cheaper to produce (since plasitc parts are almost always cheaper to make than metal ones) they why did Savage only elect to put it on their "Entry Level" and not on all the new models?

Look at the Remmy 710's. They put a plastic bolt guid sleeve inside of the action. The bolt slides on plastic rails. When new they felt pretty good, after 100-200 rounds the bolt gets sloppy and drags on the worn edges of the plastic.

All I know is I have had several Plastic releases and trigger guards fail over the years and I have yet to have a metal one fail. Most plastics get brittle and crack in cold weather and won't take the abuse steel will at those temps. Thats all I am saying.

People make many assumptions. One being that just because a particular feature is on an inexpensive rifle, and its not the way "everyone else" does it, it MUST be junk, right?

Hey now, Savage lovers have been dealing with that kind of metallity from the Rem-chester crowd for years, so i hear what you are saying. "It's a cheap gun with an ugly nut. Get rid of that junk and buy a man's gun" is just one of the things I have been told at the range. They ussually change their story when their $2000 Custom gets shown up by a $600 Savage.

I think the Edge/Axis is a nice platform for those who want an affordable rifle that will shoot. I think that the trigger is a little stiff, but its not too hard to fix that now. These are just my observations and opinions. Not trying to start a pissing match, cuz frankly no one wins when that hapens, except maybe everyones bladders :D.

Freese
06-07-2011, 07:30 PM
I have a 111FCNS and was thinking about getting an Axis that I would use as a semi-custom build project. You know, replace the trigger, stock, and recoil lug for starters, then T&T the action and see where we stand. Does this sound like a reasonable course of action or is the quality so bad that I can't get it's function/performance better than my 111FCNS? I welcome some first hand opinion before I possibly throw away my money.

godale
06-07-2011, 08:58 PM
looking for a budget 270. have held the axis and i have no doubt it can be a shooter but much like the 770 it is niot for me. i am going to go the used stevens route instead which is the axis price new at wally. i just like the feel of the 200 alot better.

bootsmcguire
06-07-2011, 10:31 PM
Freese, Doing all that to an Axis is possible but I can't say that I have heard of too many aftermarket stock options for the Axis/Edge rifles. Might wanna check on that before making a decision. Just a thought.

DoubleUp
06-08-2011, 09:20 AM
Probably not a good idea right now to buy an A/E with the idea of much modification other than trigger work or polishing the lugs, etc. Do you want it to shoot good or look good?

You're better with what you have for that or pick up a Stevens to completely rework. On the other hand if you want a rifle than shoots excellent and you don't want a fortune tied up in something that you keep in your truck or even a light carry rifle, then consider the A/E.

sayak
06-12-2011, 02:20 PM
I've owned dozens of rifles over the years. Some I have liked; others not so much. I have hunted with every rifle I have ever owned. That is why I buy them. I currently have two Edges; one a .223, and te other a .270. I like them and have no plans to throw them away like a Bic lighter. I have modified them to meet my needs, and hell, I may just buy another in .308. Say what you want about the Edge, but I'll tell you this: Though they are not for uppity connoisseurs and rifle gurus, for the average guy who likes to shoot and bring home game, they are cheap, they are accurate and they are durable. Soon there will be aftermarket stocks for them as well. I'm glad Savage came out with this Volkswagon beetle of rifles.
Don't bother flaming me; that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

dacaur
06-12-2011, 03:31 PM
Well, here is my newest update....

Took it out again with 2 new types of ammo, some federal 150 grain and some Remington 180 grain. (the ones I used before were Remington 150 grain)

The 180 grain rounds didn't group well, I shot 8 of them and couldn't even see the holes through the scope, when I got the the targets I found they shot about 6 inches low so thats why I didn't see them, heh I shot two groups, each about 4-5 inches....
The federal 150 grain rounds did pretty well, the first two groups ended up at about 2.5 inches, grouping 3 inches left and an inch low, so after adjusting my scope I shot one more mag of the first Remington 150 grain rounds and found it was grouping at about half the size it had last time I was out (I only brought one mag worth of those) So I went back the the federal 150grain rounds and shot the final group of the day, since the range was closing... the first 3 went into under 1.5 inches, with the third widening the group to about 2.5 inches......

IMO not bad, since I was using a carpeted box as a rest, and resting the rear of the stock on my left hand.... most people there there were using gun rests/vices.... I took a look at their targets while I was in the pit and have to say, they didn't do any better than me, some much worse...

So Yea, I am happy with the gun....

Herman
06-12-2011, 03:47 PM
See - you just needed to shoot some more and try different ammo. I'd be willing to bet your groups will continue to shrink with your next few outings as your barrel breaks in and you get used to your gun.

dacaur
06-19-2011, 11:16 PM
Took her out again this weekend.....

Very impressed with this gun!!!. With the original remington rounds it was grouping around 3.5 inches. before I left I shot the last of the federals (the ones it likes best) and got a group with 3 holes touching, then the 4th 1.5 inches down and right.... This seems to be a recurring theme here... it will shoot the first three great, then the 4th is down and right..... Is it just the bbl heating and I should wait longer between shots? right now I am shooting the 4 round mag with about 30 seconds between shots.

bootsmcguire
06-19-2011, 11:52 PM
Could be the barrel heating up. Try waiting 5 min (or longer) between shots for 5 shots and see if that makes any difference. That should tell you if its barrel heat or not. I am sure it has already been said somewhere in these 4 pages of posts but, Be sure the barrel is free-floating also.

dacaur
06-20-2011, 01:51 AM
yea when I got it the bbl was touching the right side of the stock right at the end, I sanded it till it was not touching, but its still really close.... I guess I will sand it some more to be sure....

Herman
06-20-2011, 11:32 PM
test the barrel hot and shoot 5, 6 or even 10 rounds and see what kind of group you get. If it is the bbl heating up, the following will be low as well. If not it may be shooter error ;)

GaCop
06-30-2011, 06:35 AM
Normally, with a sporter weight barrel, three shot groups are the norm. The light barrels heat up real quick and change point of impact. I do three shot groups with my 7mm Mag and wait at least two minutes between shots because the barrel is really HOT by the second round and if I don't wait long enough, I get a flyer on the third round.