PDA

View Full Version : Need help improving rifle accuracy

cmorsch
05-20-2011, 11:54 AM
I have a 111FCXP3 in 30-06 with the plastic stock. I have replaced the trigger with a rifle basix as well as the scope with a redfield on leupold bases and rings. My problem is I cant get it to shoot under 2" groups at 100 yards. What else can I do to get it down to around 1" or less groups at 100 yards?

TonyBen
05-20-2011, 12:35 PM
There's lots of vairables to consider:
-Are you an experienced shooter and if you aren't do you know anyone who is that could test fire it for you?
-What kind of ammo are you using? Did you use the same ammo or a mix-match of what was lying around?
-What position were you shooting from? Sitting, off the bench with no sand bags, with sand bags, bipod, lead sled?
-Are your scope rings and mounts tight?
-How many shots in a group?
-How old is the rifle and how many rounds through it?

The rifle may need a better stock as well as a bedding job but it's hard to tell. More info is needed.

Tony.

cmorsch
05-20-2011, 12:53 PM
Im shooting off a bench with bags, the scope mounts are tight. They are 5 round groups, I have around 140 rounds through the rifle. Everyone I shoot with has the same result as i get. Im running 150gr handloads with hornady FMJBT.

Eric in NC
05-20-2011, 02:03 PM
FMJs aren't the best for accuracy. You should try some different bullets and different loads.

moorepower
05-20-2011, 05:27 PM
Are you punching paper or are you looking for a hunting load. If punching paper, a 155, 168 or 175 Sierra matchking or a Hornady BTHP or Amax from 155 to 168 grain should be much more accurate. If you are looking at hunting, a Nosler ballistic tip or a Hornady SST will again be more accurate. Some rifles prefer a 165-180 grain bullet also. Good luck.

rez187
05-20-2011, 06:49 PM
you have to be new at this accuracy thing. i say that not as a slam because we all have to start somewhere and getting good info is the key so here goes:
first check all mounts, you have to try multiple types of bullet/powder combos, two inch at 100 says if everything is good and torqued that you gun doesn't like the fmj your shooting. you have to "tune" your action by that i mean you need a torque wrench and begin by tightening your action screws at about 12 then shoot a group tighten to 14 shoot a group etc you will or should see groups tighten then open up as they start to open you back to the the setting that produced the best group.

having said all this the very 1st and most important thing is can you shoot? no matter how accurate a gun is the shooter is the key so if you can eliminate human error you then go through the items listed above there are more things to try but this is a good start.

yorketransport
05-20-2011, 07:55 PM
I'll go for the easy answer and say to make sure the stock isn't touching the barrel or the tang (rear most part) of the action. Either of these can cause poor groups.

Andrew

stangfish
05-20-2011, 08:52 PM
Try something in the 175gr+ range. Very few people can get tight groups with a 1-10 twist using 150 gr bullets. Also start at your min loads.
JMHO

cmorsch
05-20-2011, 10:34 PM
Thanks, I forgot to say that Im going to eventually turn this into my hunting rifle, but for now its just a light duty range rifle. And yes I am new to the rifle shooting sport, before its been mostly shotguns. Is this something where a wood stock may help also, or is it possible to put pillars into the synthetic stocks and glass bed them also?

yorketransport
05-20-2011, 11:11 PM
Your factory synthetic stock should have pillars installed already, and a bedding job wouldn't hurt. A wood stock might help as well, but not necessarily.

Andrew

GaCop
05-21-2011, 07:32 AM
With a sporter weight barrel, three shot groups, each shot spaced about 1 minute apart are the norm. More than three rounds and the barrel heats up opening groups.

airaddict
05-21-2011, 02:35 PM
I can agree with all the above. I had a factory sporter wieght 308 w 1-10 twist and only used 150gr bullets for hunting and 110gr for target and my accuracy was never better than 1 moa at nearly every range. thats plenty for hunting but my new barrel will be 1-12 and mag contour cuz i want a little better accuracy for the occasional match so i can give my self a little better chance with off hand accuracy.

My next build (260 or 6.5 CM or .243 AI) will be my bench gun to give all the oldtimers in our gun club a run for their money!

brian