PDA

View Full Version : How difficult to modify Rem based stocks to fit Savage action?

curiousaussie
05-20-2011, 03:04 AM
G'day fella's,

Lot's of second hand aftermarket Rem SA stocks are available in Australia, but not many Savage ones.

Is the receiver diameter of a Rem action the same as a Savage Target action diameter?

What about the distance from the recoil lug back to the first action screw on Rem versus Savage?

Just thinking out loud that it might be possible with some bog and pillars to modify a Rem based stock to fit a Savage action.

Cheers,

Matt

mscott71
05-24-2011, 08:03 AM
I converted a LA Rem 700 to a LA Savage successfully, but it was quite a bit of work. I just gauged everything off of the bolt handle notch. I then had to fill in the tang area, ejection port area, and hog out everything on the inside. After adding some wood, bondo, pillars, and bedding it twice It turned out pretty good. All that said I probably wouldn't do it again, however stocks are easily purchased here.

curiousaussie
05-24-2011, 08:42 PM
Cheers mate,

Thanks for the info.

How was the trigger cut out, trigger and guard position relative to the bolt handle cut out. Did that area need much modification?

Matt

mscott71
05-28-2011, 06:47 AM
I don't remember having much trouble with the trigger guard area, but that would be pretty simple to inlet anyway. I'm thinking the rear part of the action was the most work filling in around the action and tang.

curiousaussie
05-29-2011, 06:59 PM
Thanks,

Matt

nuclabuyer
05-30-2011, 12:53 PM
If you by a bedding block it makes it a little easier. Whiddengunworks.com makes a bedding block, hog out enough to make it fit and then fill everything in with devcon.

curiousaussie
05-30-2011, 08:05 PM
Cheers nucla,

Good thinking. That's probably simpler in the long run.

My best mate has a mill so hogging out the whole lot would be easy.

Matt

mscott71
05-31-2011, 05:38 AM
Here's the link to them, but I don't know if they ship outside the USA. http://whiddengunworks.net/beddingblockbuynow.html

curiousaussie
05-31-2011, 07:52 PM
mscott71,

Emailed them. No problems to Oz. Paypal is on the job.

Thanks for the help.

Matt