PDA

View Full Version : Savage barrels?

DCM
05-18-2011, 07:40 PM
I do not own a Savage rifle but when reading postings about changing barrels, I never see anyone recommending barrels from Savage.

These rifles apparently are good shooters out of the box so it seems like their barrels must not be too bad. It seems like an order to Savage should be easy and they should be able to pull a barrel off the shelf. Are they more expensive than those from a custom barrel maker? If not, why not just get one from Savage?

I am thinking about buying my first Savage 25-06 and then getting a second barrel in 30-06.

VjjR
05-18-2011, 07:57 PM
Savage won't sell people a barrel, theres other stuff they wont sell either, but you can find plenty of used ones on here. Their barrels are nice but there is nicer ones available in more lengths, twist rates, chamberings, and so on.

davidw
05-18-2011, 08:06 PM
I don't think anyone who posts on the forum doesn't think Savage makes a good quality barrel. I think almost anyone who shoots semi regularly would say that a stock Savage will shoot as good as most are capable of. That being said, most who have purchased a Savage will say that the cost of the original rifle was low enough that they could pusue a higher degree of accuracy for it's own sake and that the most cost effective way to pursue that end would be to switch to a tighter tolerance barrel (i.e. Hart, PacNor, etc.).

ESSCEE
05-19-2011, 03:19 AM
If you are referring to savage-barrels.com they are not part of or affiliated with Savage arms, they are actually McGowan barrels. If you were talking about actually purchasing a barrel from Savage arms forget anything I have said ;D

LabRat2k3
05-19-2011, 07:17 AM
It is an option, Northland Shooters Supply has new factory Savage barrels. There are several reasons why so many people use aftermarket barrels though, different chamber offerings, different twist rates, bore finish, and price. A factory, blue, varmint contour barrel in .223 with a 1-9 twist is $185, or I can get a stainless, CBI barrel in 223, 223 wylde, or 223 AI in my choice of twist rate for $250. So I can get a good barrel for $185 or for $65 more I can get a very good barrel tailored to my liking.

82boy
05-19-2011, 10:48 AM
I do not own a Savage rifle but when reading postings about changing barrels, I never see anyone recommending barrels from Savage.
These rifles apparently are good shooters out of the box so it seems like their barrels must not be too bad. It seems like an order to Savage should be easy and they should be able to pull a barrel off the shelf. Are they more expensive than those from a custom barrel maker? If not, why not just get one from Savage?
I am thinking about buying my first Savage 25-06 and then getting a second barrel in 30-06.

Yes they do shoot good, but the problem is Savage doesn't sell barrels, and the closest thing you can get is a take off barrel. Thanks to Northland and the classified section, it is easier to get take off barrels, but the other problem is a lot of what people want Savage doesn't make. For example a popular barrel is the 260 rem, Savage use to offer this barrel, then stopped, They just started making it again but only in Target actions, which have a large shank, and only in a heavy profile. Lets say you have a small shank, or you want a different profile for hunting gun, tyring to find one of the old barrels is hard, and it would be easier to find a needle in a hay stack. But luckily aftermarket barrels are cheap, and you can get exactly what you want. The other problem is you can get a Savage take off barrel lets say you want a varmint contour, it is going to run you $150 or so dollars, for $250 you can get a Criterion, or McGowan Barrel made the way you would want it. If you want a 1in 9 twist 22/250 small shank barrel you would either have to find a hard to find Savage take off, and have it cut down from a large shank, to a small shank, or just order a barrel from Northland.

It is not that the factory Savage barrels shoot, but most people want something that Savage doesn't offer. The low cost of aftermarket barrels, and the fact that you are getting a better barrel, doesn't help the factor Savage resale at all.

Now if all you want is sporter contour barrels, then Savage take offs are a better way to go.

DCM
05-19-2011, 01:23 PM
Thanks for the replies. You answered my question very well.