PDA

View Full Version : WHAT TO DO!!

dwa
05-17-2011, 07:37 AM
Should I try to use the .270 take off barrel for something?
Do any of you guys have a rifle with multiple take off barrels?
I know that no one is going to want to buy it by looking at the classifieds. All I need is a lathe and a reamer right? Last question( I swear) Would the factory barrel diameter limit me to the caliber size, if so what size would be max. thanks

82boy
05-17-2011, 10:38 AM
Could you please rephrase your questions, they are hard to understand.

Yes many people on this site have rifles that they have several barrels for, most call them switch barrel guns. This is very common for Savage rifles because of the easy of changing barrels. Why people switch barrels is a s different as the people that do it, but yes many have several factory "take off barrels" that they use.

You may be surprised your 270 barrel may sell in the classified section. I am assuming that it is a sporter contour, they don't bring much money, maybe $50-$75 bucks, depending on condition, and round count. A lathe is a hard thing to acquire for most people, and is an expensive tool, also reamers are not a cheap throw away tool, but the question is what are you needed a lathe and a reamer for? If your are looking to re-chamber your barrel you have to pick a caliber that uses as 277 size bullet. The 270 is about the biggest thing I can think of that uses a 277 bullet. You could develop a wild cat round with a custom reamer, but remember there would be no load data for it. (I highly recamend that this is for only well experienced loaders, not something for the inexperience.) You may be pushing the envelope of the bullet buy trying to push it harder than a 270 can.

nsaqam
05-17-2011, 12:04 PM
The 270 Weatherby Magnum is a .277" cartridge which is bigger than the 270 Winchester in every dimension.
Reaming a 270 Win chamber to 270 Weatherby is a simple process and would require no barrel setback.
You would need to change your bolthead however.

I personally would not even think about a 270 Weatherby in a barrel shorter than 24" though and a 26" tube would be even better.
Heck, I don't think a 22" tube exploits the regular 270 Win's potential.

keeki
05-17-2011, 02:17 PM
The 270win is hard to beat as a hunting round, but if u just have to do something to it just AI it. But personally I would leave it alone and use it or sell it.

358Hammer
05-17-2011, 02:48 PM
82 Boy said it. What might the question be?

You have a 270 and wish to rebarrel it to something else? A lot of us have switch barrel application Savages as they are so easy to switch barrels!
I would guess that many of us here have purchased barrels for sale in the classifieds here.

Neal

powderburn
05-17-2011, 08:55 PM
Not sure what you have in mind but to change caliber you would need both a barrel reamer and a chamber reamer. Now if you want to stay with the .270 bore then you will need a chamber reamer. Frankly you could probably buy a 2nd rifle for what these would cost unless you just happen to be a machinist. Also remember most magnum cartridges have a different bolt face diameter than std 30-06 based cartridges so you really won't gain a lot over the 270 by rechambering.