PDA

View Full Version : Mark I/II/93R: New barrel

557Savage
05-15-2011, 11:11 PM
Hello all im new to this site, Im getting ready to call savage soon and order a new replacement barrel for my 93r17ss and im wondering if there is anything else I need to also get? One person told me I would need a new reciever too but I have no clue im new to all this. Thanks!

557Savage
05-16-2011, 07:36 PM
Anyone??

MaDa
05-18-2011, 10:33 PM
If you do a little searching you might find your answer. I'll give all information i have not that it'll be much of a help.

If i'm not mistaken the barrel and receiver are 1 piece, connected by what some people call a shear pin,[i've heard it called other things but can't recall at this time] anyways. i've never had my 17hmr apart so i couldnt verify this for you.

my recommendation is to do two things. 1) call savage and see what they have to say, they'll probably be more than happy to answer all of your questions. 2) take a small amount of time and grab an allen set and take your stock off, take a peek at the action/receiver and barrel and see what you can find, you may have been able to answer your question quicker than it took to create an account and post two times.

And why do you think you need a new barrel? have you damaged it?

Rifleman51
05-22-2011, 01:27 PM
You are going to need a round piece of hardwood to pound the old barrel out once the pin is removed or make a barrel removal tool. If you need a good gunsmith to do it, PM me. He's reasonable and may even be able to get the barrel cheaper, he has an account with savage.

John K

Samdweezel05
05-22-2011, 01:30 PM
Savage won't sell you and me a barrel.

cking817
05-23-2011, 05:45 PM
read this

http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=241110

epmn
05-24-2011, 04:41 PM
If Savage will sell you a barrel then things have changed. I wanted to put together a blued, left handed, heavy barrel rifle for one of my sons and buying a barrel was a no go. I turned the back end of Whistlepig 77/22 barrel to fit instead.

epmn

Rifleman51
06-13-2011, 07:12 PM
Contact Scott at www.savagegunsmithing.com and see if he can help you with parts, of all the gunsmiths out there, he is the best connected with Savage out there, if anyone can get parts, he can. Great guy to talk with and he does the best accurizing on a Savage you will find, Master Gunsmith. He actually will talk with you, not the e mail B.S.
My BRJ shot a .222", perfect group, 5 shots at 50 yards after he accurized it.
This guy is the man.
Scott has regular phone confrences with the CEO of Savage, engineers etc in helping with ideas to make Savage rifles more accurate.
I can't say for sure he can get a barrel, but if anyone can, it would be him, he's an authorized Savage dealer and service person.
John k