PDA

View Full Version : B&C application?

frantic_tictoc
10-29-2009, 12:48 PM
Ok so i have been looking at a B&C medalist to go on my sav. 10fp but first i have a couple of questions

am i better off glass bedding or pillar bedding? (my smith suggested pillar)

how difficult would it be for me to make it at det. mag.? i know kits exist for a r700 but what about the short action savage?

as always thanks in advance for the words of wisdom

*Edit where do i measure to get the 4.40in that i am supposed to measure*

groupshooter22
10-29-2009, 01:27 PM
The B&C does not need pillars with the aluminum chassis just a bedding job to mate it with your action. SSS has said they would inlet those stocks but I think it was for centerfeed.

Stocky
10-29-2009, 02:17 PM
Some folks 'skim bed' the aluminum units with varying degrees of improvement, there's a picture of a skim bedded unit below. (sorry, all I had handy was a pic of a M70) I always suggest shooting it as-is first however, I did that one because I like a full length bedded sporter to dampen barrel vibration and this rifle wouldn't shoot any other way.

As you can see from the picture "skim" would be the right word, there's not much epoxy remaining under the receiver, but it cannot hurt and may help. Most folks we hear from with the heavy barrel Medalists report that they don't want to touch a thing, hence the 'shoot it first' suggestion.

http://www.stockysstocks.com/img/fullength70.jpg

I wouldn't recommend cutting the bottom out for the DM metal, suppose it could be accomplished on a mill by a competant gunsmith but why not simply take the money you'd spend having that done and get the very similar HS Precision PSV114 vertical grip stock that is made for 4.40" drop-clip rifles?

Measure the two screws that take the rifle apart (the front ones), center to center. (The one behind the trigger guard is only 1/2" long or so and doesn't contact the receiver.) If you're using a tape it'll be either about 4 1/4" or 4 3/8" so be careful, that 1/8" will make all the difference.

Hope this helps, Don