PDA

View Full Version : striker barrel question

10ring
05-15-2011, 05:15 PM
I just recently picked up a super striker in a 243 and I was thinking of changing the caliber.

What kind of aftermarket barrels do you guys have on your strikers and how do they shoot?

flyin lizard
05-15-2011, 08:16 PM
McGowen is a popular one, go check out www.specialtypistols.com lots of good people and good info.

10ring
05-19-2011, 08:48 PM
Boy must be no one rebarrels their strikers

Samdweezel05
05-19-2011, 09:01 PM
Lots of people rebarrel them but they use the same barrel makers that you would use for any other savage bolt action. Pacnor, Hart, Shilen, Lothar Walther, Krieger, McGowen......even stock savage barrels that are cut down for use on a striker.

bubbinator
05-30-2011, 02:00 AM
I got 2 great deals on Stryker 516s at Gun shows in AL. A 7mm08 and 22-250, both with good scopes for around $400-$425! I took a great 8pt buck in 2005 with the 22-250/55gr Rem Power-Lokt HP. I want one in 260 Rem bad. This site and Specialty Pistols both recommend McGowen Barrels. I emailed them and for $177.00 you can get just about anything you want. My gunsmith will rebarrel it and do a trigger job for $100. That's not bad, because you can swap back for $50. if you want. and have a trigger job in place. BTW-that 22-250 shot the Rem HPs into a 3 shot group under 1/2" @ 100 yds off a Harris bipod and back sandbag!

Blue Avenger
05-30-2011, 09:05 AM
Boy must be no one rebarrels their strikers
We rebarrel them! And some times, have time to shot them. The grass grows fast, the sun shines late, Beer flows & warm temps really hinder computer traffic. Most of my barrels are cut down savage rifle barrels. Hart, McGowen & Dougles fill the other spots

snowgetter1
05-30-2011, 09:25 AM
The striker is super addicting. I have three barrels for mine now. Factory cut downs are the cheepest way to go. Or check out brownels. They have threaded striker barrels.

10ring
05-30-2011, 11:52 AM
Yeah I couldn't decide on the caliber that I wanted. It was between either a 243 or a 22-250ai so I ordered both from Mcgowen. Now I have to decide which will go on first when they get here or get another striker.

Oh decisions, decisions

tinkerer
05-30-2011, 02:00 PM
Heck, you can even pick up extra barrels from people who have removed them for aftermarket (hint, hint). You have 22-250, sounds like you need a 243 and a 308 to fill out the group. 260's are a little harder to come by. Any small shank Savage barrel will work, given time and $.

Sources: McGowan, Shilen, etc, etc, Cut down rifle barrels work, even other strikers. Our go completely crazy and get a blank from Pacnor and have it contoured and chambered.

Only thing limiting you is your wallet.

BTW, serious about those take off barrels.

Larry
Tinkerer

10ring
05-30-2011, 07:11 PM
I wish that I could just have a take off and have it cut down. Its a pain in the but to try to put it on your pistol permit in NY, you have to get it threw a dealer or a out of state distributor to put it on your permit and they don't recognize out of state transactions from person to person. The pistol license unit wants you to list all of your barrels on your permit. I already went threw it with thompson center handguns. Also every time you walk in to the pistol license unit, it's something different that they want you to do with out of state transactions, so its just easier to order a new barrel than the hassle of doing a person to person transaction. I think I live in the toughest county when it comes to this kind of stuff.

tinkerer
05-31-2011, 02:10 PM
Not being personal, but MOVE.

Larry
Tinkerer

bubbinator
06-27-2011, 02:32 AM
1+ for Tinkerer! Go some place where you are free to do what you want to do. BYW-His advise on McGowen Barrels is also right on-I called and for $177. they will do just about anything you need! Thanks again Tink!

tyler.woodard04
06-27-2011, 08:44 AM
NY is bad but tolerable. I have listed all my TC and Savage handguns as multi cal per a former trooper. my county does it no problem for me. that way I can have switch barrel rigs and be ok. but it seems like im down there all the time at the office adding stuff to my permit anyway

Apache
06-27-2011, 06:50 PM
NY is bad but tolerable.

Have you ever heard of "the frog being boiled in his own water"?

God gave us freedom, the Constitution recongnized that fact and the idiots in Washington have spent the last 200+ years trying to take Gods rightful place and our freedoms that He gave us.

DON'T be satisfied with "tolerable"!!!!!!

tyler.woodard04
06-28-2011, 08:30 AM
so what do i do? give up my great job in a uncertain market to move to another state? away from family and friends? just not in the cards right now. the NY handgun laws are not any worse than other states. we can still own them, buy them from other residents, buy from out of state and at least in my county have it on my permit and in my possession the same day. we are a concealed carry state. im not standing up for NY's way of doing things just saying it works for me.

snowgetter1
07-02-2011, 08:49 AM
You are better off that the Republic of Chicago, which controls the whole state of Illinois. Not sure if there is a more anti-gun state out there. But, we do ofer civil unions now.

10ring
07-12-2011, 08:32 AM
Boy did this thread get hi jacked. It's not about moving or gun laws the question was what kind of barrels do you have on your striker and how does it shoot and only 1 guy answered on how his shoots. I know you can put on whatever barrel you want from many different barrel makers. I just wanted to see how they shoot.