PDA

View Full Version : OK to dry fire a target action?

mattri
05-12-2011, 11:20 PM
Tried a search.

I don't dry fire any of my rifles, at all.

But recently I've been reading that there are some actions that aren't harmed by dry firing. A) is this true and B) is the target action one of them?

Armed in Utah
05-12-2011, 11:44 PM
Dry fire mine all the time..yes my new target action w/6.5x55 tube....

Last thing I do after cleaning prior to the safe storage.....

Not a good idea on rim fires though........

mattri
05-13-2011, 02:28 PM
Huh- seems a little counter intuitive. Thx for the reply.

r29l20
05-13-2011, 02:54 PM
On a rimfire rifle,the firing pin hits the barrel, causing a peening effect. Thats why you shouldn't dry-fire them. Hope that cleared it up for ya. :)

Eric in NC
05-13-2011, 03:05 PM
Don't know of any modern centerfire that is harmed by dry firing. Even ok on some modern rimfires.

Bad deal on some old centerfires (Sharps, Trapdoors, old DA revolvers, old double barrel shotguns, etc.) and all older rimfires.

Edit - actually, come to think of it - CZ auto pistols don't like to be dry fired (new ones even come with snap caps) and some of the european double guns will break a firing pin if you dry fire them a lot...

But Savage centerfire bolt guns can be dry fired all day long!

mattri
05-13-2011, 03:42 PM
Well I guess every days a school day. Thanks again for the replies.

JReed
05-13-2011, 04:35 PM
Dry firing most bolt guns is no problem. But if it worries you, you can make up a cheap snap cap by taking a unprimed case and fitting a pencil eraser in to the primer pocket. I have done this for several of my guns that dry firing is not a good idea for. The eraser will wear out but you just pop out the old one and replace it when needed.