PDA

View Full Version : CB feeding solutions?

dbooksta
05-12-2011, 01:17 PM
I like to shoot CCI 29gr CB .22LR, but my Mark II has persistent problems feeding them: The tip consistently yaws to one side before the bullet can get into the chamber. The magazine might have something to do with the problem: I can sometimes jimmy the first few in, but last ones will absolutely not go in.

The CB rounds are only .1" shorter than standard 40gr .22LR so this seems like a real design flaw. The factory basically said, "Yeah, that's not going to work well." Anyone have ideas on making it work?

hcpyro13
05-12-2011, 02:42 PM
Aguila SSS 60gr sub-sonic. Same size as .22lr with the same volume as CB's.

anomad
05-12-2011, 02:56 PM
http://media.midwayusa.com/productimages/medium/295/295321.jpg

Colibris feed better than CBs, for me. Less powerful however.

I found a Savage 24 device to help solve those feeding issues.

dbooksta
05-12-2011, 02:59 PM
Aguila SSS 60gr sub-sonic. Same size as .22lr with the same volume as CB's.

Those 60gr bullets are no good in standard .22LR barrels like the Mark II's (which is 1:16" twist). They need a higher twist rate to stabilize.

dbooksta
05-12-2011, 03:01 PM

Yeah, the Colibris are pushing the low end of speed. I'll try them anyway.

What's the "Savage 24 device" you're referring to?

hcpyro13
05-12-2011, 03:29 PM
I've used the SSS ammo in 1:16's before, was getting 2" groups at 50yds freehand. I'd give them a try and see if they work in your gun. They seem to work in some and not in others.

-J

dbooksta
05-12-2011, 04:51 PM
In mine they keyhole by even 25 yards.

anomad
05-12-2011, 04:54 PM

Yeah, the Colibris are pushing the low end of speed. I'll try them anyway.

What's the "Savage 24 device" you're referring to?

Poor attempt at humor. A Savage 24 is a single shot 22/410 under over.
www.savage24.com

Rifleman51
05-22-2011, 03:06 AM
Modify the magazine to look like the Mossberg magazines from the model 44 rifles from the 1940's.
You will only be able to do it with a 5 round mag because the ten round bends too much.
The Mossberg magazines had a screw that went through the bottom, through the inside of the mag and through a hole in the follower. It was set back far enough to allow shorts to just fit in the magazine.
You could do the same thing to a five round mag. Measure the length of the CB caps you are using. Drill a hole in the bottom of the magazine and in the follower, making the hole in the follower larger and oblong shape and thread the bottom hole of the magazine.
Take a thin screw and polish off all the threads except on the bottom where it screws into the mag, it has to be pretty smoth on the rest to go through the follower without hanging up. The screw should not stick up through the follower when the follower is at the top and empty, but stops short of there in length.

It might work. The Mossberg mags were made to shoot LR and shorts, not CB caps, but it just might work, you never know unles you try.
I know of no other way of doing it except for a single shot adapter.
Go to www.rimfirecentral to the Savage section and do a search for the single shot adapter. They are about $20. delivered and very nice quality, then just load the CB caps one at a time. Be aware that shoting too many can put a ring in the chamber, so clean the chamber well after shooting.

John K