PDA

View Full Version : 6-6.0x47 - does anyone trim or point their bullets

Dennis
05-11-2011, 06:13 PM
Does it make a difference worth the effort?

stevec
05-11-2011, 06:19 PM
I tried pointing my 107 SMK's and 115 DTAC's in my 6-250AI and could not tell a difference at 100, 600, or 1000yds. Maybe I'm just not a good enough shot to know better?

Steve

Dennis
05-11-2011, 10:45 PM
I shot a few rounds that had the bullets squared on the tip and trimmed.

I would love to know how they did it and again, is it worth the effort?

Must be, I got the bullets from a factory team shooter!!!!

Just trying to understand. I weigh mine, but have never done the above.

stevec
05-11-2011, 11:26 PM
Dennis,

I bought a Whidden bullet pointing die. (http://www.whiddengunworks.net/pointingdiebuynow.html)
I never used the metplat trimmer but you can find one here http://www.whiddengunworks.net/meplattrimmerbuynow.html
A friend of mine that went to England on the US F-Class team swears by trimming and pointing.
I used it for a while but never did see an improvement in my scores.

Steve

82boy
05-12-2011, 12:12 AM
I have never use a point up die, If I had the money I sure would.

I do trim all my bullets meplats. I use a tool made by Dave Tooley, chuck it in a drill and go at it.

Most people will agree that you will never notice a difference between a bullet that the meplat is trimmed and one that is not until you get out past 500 yards. The down side of meplat trimming is you do loose BC on the bullet. The reason why people point the bullet after meplat trimming is to recover some of the lost BC. The funny thing is most bullet makers cringe when you tell them you are trimming the meplat of a bullet. Randy RG Robinette has told me that he is one that is in favor of meplat trimming, he also moly coats his personal bullets.

I can not prove that meplat trimming makes a difference, but I also can't prove that it hurts anything. For me it is just added insurance, shooters do a lot of things that in all reality don't make a difference. My friends I shoot with don't trim meplats, so to them it is a silly thing. I good friend of mine says "If it makes you feel good, then do it." I think it adds to confidence, and that is a good thing to have in a match.