PDA

View Full Version : Do you ever swap barrels just to... ?

Hammer
05-11-2011, 05:58 PM

Do you ever swap barrels just to be doing something ?

Swap one 220 Swift barrel from Action #13A with an identical 220 Swift barrel on Action #47C just so you can say you did something before supper ?

Otherwise, someone might think of something for you to do.

helotaxi
05-11-2011, 06:35 PM
Barrels, no. But I do play a lot of musical optics.

r29l20
05-11-2011, 06:46 PM
If we didn't we wouldn't have anything to do. ;) Savages shot great in stock form. :)

pdog06
05-12-2011, 07:32 AM
Put 2 barrels on actions last Friday just to see what they looked like. Headspaced them and put the whole gun together. Then decided to take both of them back off, put the one barrel on the other action(which also included magbox and bolthead swaps) and headspaced it. Then took other barrel to my local smith on Saturday to have a muzzlebrake fitted on it(it was already threaded for it). Now in a few hours I am going back to my smith to pick up my finished barrel, and will probably put it back together this afternoon.

Uncle Jack
05-12-2011, 09:46 AM
Once I attach a barrel to an action and headspace it, they are married for life. (the life of the barrel..my life..which ever comes first.)

I do spend a lot of time swapping stocks and triggers.

uj

pdog06
05-12-2011, 10:03 PM
Well, was sitting outside the gun shop today when they opened. Went in and got my barrel and narrowly escaped without buying other stuff...LOL

Got home and had to immediately put the gun back together..Must be an OCD thing, I dont know.

Anyways, its all together now and ready to shoot.

http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t106/pdog06_photos/May2011034.jpg

Now I have a couple SSS triggers I forgot I had lying around that I gotta install...LOL

Three44s
05-14-2011, 10:01 AM
WOW ......... this is a thread of extremes!
;D

UJ marries his barrels and actions for life ......... bless him ....... he's a good guy and Hammer does switches for something to do ........ of course he's into "bull" PD exterminations with big ole thumpers .....

I guess I'm in the middle .......... I'll switch if I get the notion ......... but think about it for a while first!

Three 44s

yorketransport
05-15-2011, 12:46 PM
I probably spend more time switching barrels than I do shooting! ;D

Every barrel gets mounted onto the "test" action and fired to get an idea of how it shoots with a proven action/scope/stock combo. Then it will be moved to a different action depending on caliber and intended use. There's the target action, varmint action, hunting actions, and plinking actions. Once I get a setup that I like, I lock the barrel nut down with a set screw so that I don't need to worry about headspacing the barrel any more. I just use a port entry action wrench and a strap wrench to swap the barrels back and forth after that.

Andrew

Dennis
05-15-2011, 01:35 PM
Taking a 22-250 barrel off my VLP and putting a 6br on it!

;)