PDA

View Full Version : help for a noob with stock questions

chewcudda
05-10-2011, 08:02 PM
hello all, spent the last two days reading this site and still have some questions.
1. I am a new member because i am a new savage owner. I bought a savage because i wanted a gun that was accurate out of the box and not a showboat like some other brands( looks good but needs mucho work to make accurate). also i never buy the most popular thing. enought about me.

2. my gun is light...LIGHT. 11 flns is kicking my butt. fired about 60 rounds through it and i am still sore today. took the recoil pad off the gun and found not a solid stock but styrofoam in stock ( not solid styrofoam but just a block of it wedged in there). is that normal for this rifle. I have read about adding weight to the stock but my question is it more affective to fill the stock with foam with a gap for weights or put the weights in and then fill with foam(i have a tube to put iron washers in that i could put in the first then fill with foam or should i forget about the tube and just perma bond the washers in there.)

3. the option of getting a new stock to add weight seems out of my hands/ price range only real option seems to be the choate stock because of the left handed action. looked at boyds they only make LHRB for savage that i could find. stocky has non listed for me. any others yall can think of i would think about but looking in the 100-150 range. wife is pissed already about the amount i spent on last 3 guns.

that seems to about cover it please any advice i will take

chewy

bootsmcguire
05-10-2011, 08:13 PM
What caliber do you have?

You can add weight to the rear of the stock and yes the foam is normal. Some people will put in SS rods or whatever else they can get in there and then use epoxy or spray foam to seal it in there and keep it from rattling around. Also you may want to epoxy in some metal in the forend of the stock, this will help stiffen it and add some weight. Just be sure your barrel is free floating when you are done and I would advise doing this since the forend on most of the Savage sythetics is pretty flimsy.

chewcudda
05-10-2011, 11:06 PM
my rifle is .308. already had dies for it soo..

chewy

bootsmcguire
05-10-2011, 11:30 PM
I hear that. 308 is a nice all around caliber and can be fun to shoot. Mine is a 12FV 26" Varmint so it is a little more of a pleasure to shoot then the sporter for extended range sessions. I have been leaning more towards my 243AI and my 6BR as of lately so the 308 has had a break from the range so far this year.

If you are shooting off of a bipod or front rest, stiffening the forend is a must with the Savage Synthetic Stocks. Your groups will shirink. Until you get it done be sure to put your rest or sandbags closer to the action to reduce the flex in the forend.

You could also buy some lead shot and some 2-part epoxy and mix it up and put it in the rear of the stock to add some weight. Mix up a little at a time and just keep adding until you get to where you want to be.