PDA

View Full Version : Mark I/II/93R: How do I replace the bolt handle on a Mark II?

mugsie
05-10-2011, 02:26 PM
I did a search a zillion different ways but can't seem to find what I'm looking for. I have a Mark II that I'd like to replace the teeny tiny little bolt handle with something a little more manly. I've rebuilt the Savage bolts on centerfires, changing from one caliber to another easily. How do I go about doing it with the rimfire? Is it just as easy? Remove the back screw, pull the bolt apart and it's screwed and loctited in somehow? Or do I need to hire Merlin?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank.....

mugsie
05-10-2011, 02:29 PM
Ahhh - I used my google-fu. Got it. For those of you interested, here it is.

http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=78552

mugsie
05-11-2011, 06:44 AM
Ut Oh - guess I'm still a grasshopper. The article I posted deals with dis-assembly, but not how to remove the handle - anyone know how this works? Does it unscrew?

(hmmmm - why do I seem to be talking to myself?!)

Colon Terminus
05-11-2011, 10:23 AM
You don't replace the bolt handle; it's all one piece.
You grind off the existing handle, thread the end, drill and tap a suitable replacement and screw it onto your threaded bolt handle stub.

mr45acp2u
05-14-2011, 10:35 PM
If you have an older MKII, you might get lucky and be able to unscrew the knob, they are threaded on, and get a new one threaded and screw it on. ;D Thats all I had to do.

Cycler
05-15-2011, 08:24 PM
If you have an older MKII, you might get lucky and be able to unscrew the knob, they are threaded on, and get a new one threaded and screw it on. ;D Thats all I had to do.

I don't know how old "older" has to be but my 2006 pre-E receiver GL has a one piece bolt handle.

Rifleman51
05-22-2011, 02:36 AM
Contact Scott Null at www.savagegunsmithing.com
He will either sell you a bolt handle and you can cut your bolt off and thread the stub for the new bolt handle of you can send the bolt to him and he will put one on.
His prices are reasonable, less than most smiths charge to replace a bolt knob and he's a Master riflesmith, he won't mess up the job.

My best, John K