PDA

View Full Version : New Savage LRP and questions

Pages : 1 [2]

jinx-)
05-13-2011, 02:27 AM
You right, its v-block style. I just don't know what to blame for this thing not shooting as I was anticipating, plus I was waiting for it 4 - 5 weeks, but its not what I hoped. Now after another 40 rounds down tube copper embedded, so it might not foul as much, I use my mini maglite to shine down barrel and it has that red color...

Do you guys think replacing recoil lug worth of trying? Since I'm going to skin bed it, that's right time to get thick recoil lug put on...

bgc
05-13-2011, 07:01 AM
It would be an opportune time for a good lug, however it may not be an issue. Give it some more time and work with the rifle.

jinx-)
05-13-2011, 03:16 PM
Some rifles are shooters some wont shoot no matter how many shot went through tube, my first savage 111 model high gloss finish in 270 which is a shooter, it shot one hole right out the box and still does it never had copper embedded in the barrel, then I had 11 BTH which had fliers 1.5 MOA gun, I had it bedded and crown redone and hand lapped still didn't help, so it wasn't a keeper, now I have this LRP also 1 - 1.5 MOA. I will keep this because of its action and stock, the barrel I think has to many issues. I have what use to be Remington SPS varmint, I putted in B&C Medalist stock which I had to heavily re-bedded now its 0.25 MOA shooter, but it was 0.8 - 0.7 MOA to begin.

05-13-2011, 04:49 PM
That sucks jinx! My LRP is shooting great with 123gr Amax. .5" groups with RL-19 doing the pushing. After the first 18 rounds very minimal copper. After the second 18, almost no copper. The EGW HD 20moa base fits nicely.

jinx-)
05-13-2011, 05:10 PM
Yes it does... This barrel been saturating with KG-12 for an hour now, but I still see copper in it. Does Savage sell 2nd class rifles which couldn't pass QA? The only Savage which still shoots I bough from Dick's other ones where purchased from local gunshops...

memilanuk
05-14-2011, 02:03 AM
So have you called their customer service yet?

As for waiting... I had to wait 15-16 weeks for mine, so if you got yours after 4-5 I'd consider yourself lucky. And the crown on mine is still not what I'd call perfect, yet it shoots.

The lug on the Target models may not be surface ground within a couple ten-thousandths of perfection... but it ain't exactly a flimsy piece of stamped sheet metal like on some of the other models. Replacing the lug is mostly a solution in want of a problem.

jinx-)
05-14-2011, 03:06 AM
Yes I picked up phone and dialed Savage, it was 4:35, so they were closed at 4:30, I'll call them Monday.