PDA

View Full Version : Muzzle Brakes and Carbon...

fatdaddy
05-07-2011, 12:16 PM
I have two barrels with brakes. I use both for prairie dog work. They both collect what seems to be a lot of carbon at the barrel crown. I know its due to the muzzle brakes, but has anyone found this effecting accuracy? My own personal O.C.D. that makes me want to scrub the crown every 4 or 5 shots. Is it necessary to maintain accuracy? If so, what cuts this tough crap the best? Thanks, Bill

gotcha
05-09-2011, 11:44 PM
Hey bill, You think you've got it bad? I'm OCD & st... sta.... st.....stutter too! I use aerosol disc brake cleaner & blow out the muzzle brake each time I clean the bore. I've never noticed accuracy to be effected by soot build-up on my PD rifles. But then again, being OCD, I never give it a chance !!! ;D The disc brake cleaner will strip every bit of oil from your bore & BBL so you'll want to apply some protection after you clean. I use on blued & stnls & have seen no ill effects to finishes so far. Happy trails, Dale

fatdaddy
05-10-2011, 05:53 PM
Thanks Dale, Glad to hear I aint the only one effected... I been using carb cleaner, sprayed onto a rag. It works, but slow. Thanks again, Bill