PDA

View Full Version : Bolt Lift

Pages : 1 [2]

dolomite_supafly
05-08-2011, 04:39 PM
Sounds similar to my post from a year ago.

http://savageshooters.com/SavageForum/index.php/topic,30658.0.html.

Dolomite

rsbhunter
05-08-2011, 05:11 PM
I don't know why nobody else came up with this but........i;m putting on a bolt handle likr the one in the picture of the inch pound test...one that long would definitely make opening easier!!!!!!!!!!!!!! wait, thats a torque wrench, not a bolt handle, never mind, cancel that last thought....thought i had it whipped! rsbhunter :o

thomae
06-17-2011, 08:57 AM
I have no issue with the work part of it as I have a lathe and a milling machine. I am still trying to figure out how 6 points of friction on the outside edge of the BAS (drag) is better than a single point of friction at the rotating center of the BAS (rotation).

Remember the bearings, although six points of contact have primarily only rolling friction which is much less than static friction on an equivalent contact surface (I am not saying that one bearing is the equivalent contacts surface as six bearings).

The 38 special with the ball in the middle has static rubbing friction, which is significantly more than rolling friction. Is it 6 times more? I could guess, but the answer is that I don't know.

I do not say that one has less friction than the other, and unless one is a mechanical engineer with specific, hypersensitive measuring equipment (or knows all the appropriate equations from a M.E. textbook) we can only guess at which one has less friction.

Sharpshooter did the closest thing to a scientific test and came up with one conclusion based on his results. Wonderful. Thank you Sharpshooter for your detailed explanation of your methodology.

Instead of arguing, how about we acknowledge that there are (at least) two ways to skin this cat and whichever works for each one of us would be the appropriate one to use.

If one shooter prefers one bolt lift friction reduction method and another poster prefers another method, great. Why is that a problem?
Personally I may try them both since I am a tinkerer.

Your mileage may vary, and what works for me may not be what works for you...that's ok.

Remember, we are here to help each other out.

None of us (yes, I include ME in that "us.") knows everything. Let's all try to keep an open mind and actually listen to what others are saying.

All the best,
Thomae

r29l20
06-17-2011, 11:49 AM
Well said, thank you. :)