PDA

View Full Version : Rimfire Crackshot 32 shot?

Pages : [1] 2

big honkin jeep
05-06-2011, 05:43 PM
while at a shop today I saw what looks like a Crack Shot or Stevens Favorite and it followed me home. I know nothing about what I got and was hoping to find some answers here. I will give my best description of what I got and hope for the best.

On top of the barrel it says J STEVENS A & T CO
chicopee falls mass usa pat apr 17 94
on the top "drivers side" it says 32-shot
The butt plate says stevens favorite and if I had to guess I would say is made of buffalo horn? I dont think its plastic.
It looks like a falling block action with the trigger guard being the operating lever.
In front of the trigger guardis a screw with a d ring for takedown.
the barrel is octagon until it reaches the tip of the fore end and then round to the end of the muzzle with a brass bead on top. The barrel is appears to be smoothbore.
This weapon appears to be in very good condition.
Can someone tell me what I've gotten? What kind of ammo it shoots? Is it rimfire or centerfire? Is ammo available? Will 32 gauge shotshells work?What the price range of these is? any other pertinant information?
Thanks guys BHJ

Eric in NC
05-06-2011, 06:19 PM
32 rimfire shot cartridge (shot version of the 32 rimfire short or long). They were used for gallery shooting and household pest control (rats, mice, snakes) and just general fun and games.

I imagine the butt is bakelite or similar material.

Every now and then someone makes 32 rimfire ammo but usually the solid (bulleted) kind. Don't know of any 32 shot being made recently anywhere.

No - 32 gauge shotgun ammo wouldn't work (the 32 rimfire is really about 30 cal). So it is really a non-shooter unless you want to try some of the solid ammo that Dixie gun works or navy arms etc. have made (with the smooth bore of course it would tumble).

People have convered these to centerfire and used 32 Long Colt brass with VERY light loads but...

The lack of ammo makes them less desirable on the collector market - $100-$200 depending on how nice it is. Maybe a bit more since it is a smoothbore and kind of rare (if it is in good shape).

big honkin jeep
05-10-2011, 02:54 PM
Thanks for your reply
Ammo seems to be nearly non existant except as eye candy, but thanks to your post I found some reloadable brass cases with an offset primer hole
over at Dixie Gun Works. They use .22 blanks to ignite a black powder charge. They say they are for use with a .310 round ball but after conferring with DGW I think I'm gonna try and load em using a card and #12 shot over the black powder with a card and a dab of parrifin on the end to seal em up. I ordered the .32 rimfire extra long brass figuring I can always cut em down if necessary.These will need to be properly indexed to fire but that's not a problem. They should be pretty close to the original ballistics. I sure would like to use smokeless though.
I've been doing some more research and the butt plate is hard rubber. The early model I have pre dates bakelite by several years. It's not the earliest model (1889)with the side plate but an early second production model known as the Stevens Favorite 1894 model 20. The model 20 designates it as a smoothbore and was in the catalogs but the model # is shown no where on the guns.
Apparently the model 20 smoothbore is rare enough, but the .32 rimfire shot in very good condition is a very rare piece. I have talked to several old time dealers and smiths who have been in the gun buisness since way before I was born who have never even heard of the .32 shot chambering and good info on the web is pretty tough to come by also.
I'm still looking for any additional info if anyone wants to chime in.
Thanks BHJ

Eric in NC
05-10-2011, 04:46 PM
Instead of card wads, I have had really good luck making shot shells by using two crimp on style gas checks - seat one "cup side up" on your powder (DON"T leave a gap between check and powder!), put shot in, seat one cup side down even with the case mouth and crimp. A 32/20 die would probably work for you (or you could just use dowels to seat the check and dab a little white glue on the end to seal it).

Would be careful with parafin and BP - easy to set BP off with heat. Your parafin wouldn't do it, but I wouldn't want a burner or hot plate around when I was dealing with loose BP!

big honkin jeep
05-10-2011, 09:30 PM
I think the gas check is a great idea if I can find the right one. I'll probably give DGW another call tomorrow and see if they have any imput on one that will fit properly. I was able to find some original .32 long rimfire load data online. It calls for a charge of 13gr of black powder with a 90gr bullet. I dont know how much room I'm gonna have in the cases for shot yet but 90gr seems like a lot for such a small bore. I havent been able to find load data for the actual .32 rimfire shotshells yet though I'm thinking the data I have should be OK. The cases for .32 long rimfire are .565 but the ones I ordered are for the extra long and are .755. being a straightwall smoothbore I hope they will fit without me having to figure out how to properly ream this jewell or cut down the cases. I'm a bit hesitant but I was also thinking of trying to find some 32 rimfire data using smokeless powder. I know they make a modern run every now and then but my research has also led me to believe these actions wont take much pressure as they aren't a true falling block. Smokeless would certainly give me more room for shot as well as the other obvious advantages. I'm definitely on my way now to firing this thing and couldnt be more excited.
I wasnt even thinking of using any heat with the parrifin other than the friction of rubbing a small piece between my fingers. I wont be crimping this brass as they are between $4-$5 a piece and they gotta be reloaded and last. Once I get a good load worked up and if I'm happy with this little plinker I'll probably accumulate more than the six pieces I've ordered before next bumblebee season.
Thanks for the help and as always imput/comments are appreciated
BHJ

Eric in NC
05-11-2011, 03:58 PM
Gas checks for 32/20, 32 Colt or 32 H&R should work fine. I would back the powder charge down (since the 22 blank will be filling part of the space and your shot will fill a LOT more space than the bullet did). You don't need high velocity (in fact higher velocity opens up the "pattern" on the shot cartridges I have made).

No - the actions aren't strong. You can damage them by using smokeless factory 32 Colt or S&W ammo in the ones converted to center fire.

Also - #12 shot works a LOT better than #9. You can get a 5# bag from Ballistic Products and it will last you a lifetime.

Heck - 32 cal round balls might group ok at bunny-shooting distances.

big honkin jeep
05-11-2011, 08:01 PM
Well I found some additional load data today using 9gr of black powder over an 80gr cast bullet. It'll probably be a better option to start with the lower powder charge as a test and it will leave me more room for shot.
Anybody got any Idea where I can find gas checks foe the above mentioned calibers (.310) I checked several of my normal reloading supply sites and didnt find exactly what I was looking for. I checked with one gentelman who makes bullets by phone today who said that he has done .44 black powder shotshells using styrofoam from an egg crate as a wad and top card. I mentioned concerns of them melting and he said he'd fired a bunch of them and checked but never seen any evidence of them melting.
Also a recomendation on a good non corrosive black powder substitute would be appreciated. I think it would make life easier for this application. most of the info on the substitutes seems to be about a decade old and Im not sure if some of the products I've been considering are even being manufactured
Thanks BHJ
Since this has kinda morphed into a quest for the creation of an obsolete load I think I may ask a few questions over in the wildcatters backyard to try and get a few more eyes on it. I truly appreaciate any and all the help and suggestions on this quest.

Eric in NC
05-11-2011, 08:22 PM
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/default.aspx?productNumber=253287

30 cal gas checks should work just fine. .309 vs .310 - what's the difference among friends? They are actually a little bigger because of the lip to "crimp" on.

Never found a BP substitute that was as good as BP - many of them are just as hygroscopic (sp?) as BP, the modern "super" ones that the inline muzzle loader folks use develop higher peak pressures than BP in cartridges. Using BP isn't a problem at all - especially in a smooth bore!

big honkin jeep
05-11-2011, 09:10 PM
Thanks E you have really helped me along. I put a post over in the wildcat section to see if I could get some other problem solving minds in on the recreation of this obsolete cartridge. I realize the substitutes produce higher pressure but I'm unsure of what the difference in the pressure curve would be. I was thinking of using a little less of a slightly higher pressure powder to try to gain all the volume for shot I can. A clean propellant that could be less damaging to the condition of this "centurion" as well as an easy cleanup wouldnt hurt my feelings either. I'm hoping the local bass pro or one of the gun shops will have #12 shot and powder to avoid shipping charges. In my area (Ga.) we also have a great local trading site( the outdoors trader) with plenty of like minded firearms enthusiasts whom I'm hoping I can bum a few gas checks off of or trade for for experimentation.
Thanks BHJ

big honkin jeep
05-17-2011, 10:13 AM
Ok I managed to get most of my components together. I got my brass from Dixie Gun Works and it looks like it will be just fine, maybe a little short without much shot capacity. I wish it was a little longer actually for this application. I bought some Goex FFFg and took apart some 12 ga shells to canibilize the #9 shot just for experimentation on a budget. It looks like I'm gonna have to use either an aluminum can/cardboard or eggcrate foam for a wad/shot cup because I got my hands on a couple of .30 cal gas checks and surprise, they were too big. I found some starter gun crimps that said they were 6mm and thought they would be too big to use for primers so I left em at the store. As it turns out they were exactly what I needed. Who knew in this case 6mm is equivilant of .22? Since I have more freebore to play with I would like some suggestions on how I might try to extend the section of this cartrige which holds the shot. I thought of maybe trying to find a drinking straw if I can find the right diameter.
In another side experiment
I had a buddy give me a .32H&R magnum shell with the intent of reaming the primer pocket and trying a .27 cal rimfire ramset charge that's used to drive concrete nails. Unfortuneately the .32 H&R mag shell is to fat to use as a parent case. I'm thinking of trying to locate some .32 colt brass to continue this experiment but It is also obsolete and I dont think it will give me any more case capacity than the brass I have now.
I guess Im gonna have to start walking around with a micrometer in my pocket so I can check dimensions of different items I run across everyday to use as components. Apparently this game of thousandths requires it.
Any help or suggestions on how I might solve some of these problems or ideas on better ways or products to bring this chambering back to life are appreciated.
Thanks BHJ

big honkin jeep
05-18-2011, 10:30 AM
Ok I checked the brass I have with the offset primer pocket. It worked well but one problem. After firing the crimp expands and flares out above the case head inside the cartridge making removal very difficult. My decapper die simply pushes through the crimp leaving its rim in place and I've had to dig em out with needle nose pliers. What a PITA

big honkin jeep
05-18-2011, 03:46 PM
Well I just completed my first 32 shot rimfire cartridge. I put 8gr of fffg with a foam egg crate disc on top of the powder. This pretty much filled the case so I used a drinking straw to extend the cartridge length and hold the 70gr of #9 shot topped off by a disc from a foam plate with a tiny amount of parrifin to seal it up. I sure hope this works :)
BHJ

Eric in NC
05-18-2011, 06:52 PM
Buffalo Arms (and others) sell punches (hand and press mounted) to punch wads out of milk cartons or whatever (milk cartons work great because of the wax).

You can compact the BP quite a bit if you need to (it works better with a little "crush" on it).

Folks also make paper shot capsules - roll good typing paper around a properly sized dowel, glue it and leave some hanging over the end, push down on end for "crimp", use white glue or water glass (sodium silicate) etc. to seal it, etc. Genuine PITA but...

big honkin jeep
05-18-2011, 09:32 PM
Thanks for the heads up on the typing paper. I'm not sure but I suspect the plastic straw may encapsulate the shot all the way to the target because of the wad behind it. I'm gonna have to test it and see what happens. I cant get much pressure on the powder because of the way the starter gun crimp fits loosely in the pocket, I pushed one out earlier today while putting the wad in and spilled the powder. I'm thinking there has got to be a better ignition system. I have seen some of the original shells and they have paper cones on the end.
I have never really formed brass before but ideally if I could find or form a rimmed straightwall case to an outside diameter of .315 and a length of about 1.5" or a little longer I would be in a much better position to experiment. The 32HR mag is close but I dont think I'd be able to size the head down correctly. Sure wishin I had some machine shop experience about now.
I've found that a resized .308 case with a nice outside chamfer and a couple of teeth cut in it wih a file makes a pretty good wad cutter for this application.
As always comments and suggestions are appreciated
Thanks BHJ

big honkin jeep
05-19-2011, 10:23 PM
Today I made some shells using typing paper for the shot to ride in. I'm a little more confident in the design I employed on these than I am the plastic straw design I started with. Hopefully next week I can get out and test em.
I also found a place online that makes obsolete cartridges. Says he can mill em from bar stock with a chamber cast if necessary. I'm gonna give em a call next week.
I'm gonna try to get some pics up of the gun and the cartridges next week.
Thanks Eric for all your help so far.
BHJ

Eric in NC
05-20-2011, 09:23 AM
Come to think of it - this guy http://www.mcace.com/ might be able to make you a chamber adapter that would let you shoot a 22 LR shot shell with no fuss. Not as bit a shot payload but....

I have worked with Ace on several oddball things like this (32 H&R out of a 7.62x54R etc.) and he does good work. Worth an email or call.

ellobo
05-26-2011, 11:12 PM
8-9 grains of 3 or 4 F is pretty mild and no danger to your gun. Pyrodex cartridge is fine, use by volume not wgt. by that I mean same volume of pyrodex as volume of BP. Better and easier cleanup. Another cartridge solution is to use the case you want, cut off the head and have a shop make some bases that can be silver soldered into one end of the case. Should last forever.

El Lobo

big honkin jeep
07-20-2011, 10:12 AM
Ok I finally got around to shooting my 1894 Stevens favorite chambered in .32 rimfire shot. Here are some pics of the shells I made.

For size comparison left to right. empty .38special, empty .32rimfire from Dixie Gun Works ,.32rimfire shotshell with drinking straw as a shot capsule, .32rimfire shotshell with paper shot capsule, 2 1/2" .410 shotshell, 3" .410 shotshell.
http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w188/bighonkinjeep/100_0683.jpg
http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w188/bighonkinjeep/100_0684.jpg

Truly a tiny little shotshell but what a hoot to shoot. I dont think you coulda gotten the grin off my face with a wire brush. ;D It patterned at about 18" at 15 yards and destroyed the clay pigeon I was shooting at. I have some video on my phone but it's probably gonna take a while to figure out how to get it to here.
Smart phone, inexperienced operator.
I cant give enough thanks to all who helped with suggestions and I'm still open to anything that would be an improvement.

big honkin jeep
07-20-2011, 10:33 AM
oops double posted

big honkin jeep
07-20-2011, 03:12 PM
Ok I've got some video of the first round I fired from my 1894 Stevens Favorite chambered in .32 shot. My brother was hiding behind the truck door shooting the video with my cell phone. ;)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1QypXz7fQw