PDA

View Full Version : Free floating tang

lomfs24
05-06-2011, 09:44 AM
I have seen multiple times from multiple places from multiple people that you have to make sure the tang is free floating on your Savage. And if you hear something often enough it becomes truth and conventional wisdom.

1. Is this a Savage thing or can other brands of actions also benefit from this?
2. What are the physics behind why this is?

All of mine are free floated and they all shoot really well so I don't want to put them in tight, if it's not broken don't fix it. Right?

HollowPoint
05-06-2011, 10:11 AM
I wondered about that too.

I recently swapped my Stevens short actions into one of the aftermarket
tactical stocks.

It seemed that I had to free-float the rear tang otherwise I couldn't get the
safety to slide forwards or back.

I'm not sure that free-floating the rear tang has as much to do with accuracy
than it does with functionality.

In my case, I just milled off enough to be able to slide my safety lever into
the "Safe" or "Fire" position without having to utter multiple swear-words in
the process.

HollowPoint

jonbearman
05-06-2011, 11:47 AM
I would call Kevin Rayhill from stockade stocks and field the question to him.Then post what he said.

SMK Shoe
05-06-2011, 11:48 AM
I've had to float the tang on my three TGT actions. I'm not sure what it does for accuracy but with just a little pressure it would tweek the tang and affect applying the safety

Smokey262
05-06-2011, 12:16 PM
My take on it is that unlike some other brands, the 10/110 series receivers have the rear action screw forward of the tang instead of in the middle of it, thus bedding the tang and tightening the rear screw too much may cause the tang to deflect upwards.

scratcherky
05-06-2011, 04:21 PM
When I bed a Savage, I use pillars and I bed the tang also. It does not affect accuracy as long as the action is not in a bind.

lomfs24
05-06-2011, 05:07 PM
I can understand that then, the tang can be tight as long as it's not bound up under pressure. And the easiest way to make sure it's not under pressure is give it a hair of free float. Makes sense.

Slim Jim
05-07-2011, 06:19 PM
When I bed a Savage, I use pillars and I bed the tang also. It does not affect accuracy as long as the action is not in a bind.

+ 1 I've also glass bedded in the same manner wood stocks. Works excellent.

Slim

Netz
05-07-2011, 06:41 PM
My take on it is that unlike some other brands, the 10/110 series receivers have the rear action screw forward of the tang instead of in the middle of it, thus bedding the tang and tightening the rear screw too much may cause the tang to deflect upwards.

This was my thought also.
Curt

Buster95
05-08-2011, 09:46 AM
How I can check if the tang on my 10FP in a Bell & Carlson A2 stock is free floated?

iamsniper1
05-08-2011, 10:12 AM
How I can check if the tang on my 10FP in a Bell & Carlson A2 stock is free floated?

Slide a business card between the tang and stock all the way around the tang,
should be no resistance.

Buster95
05-08-2011, 07:30 PM

Slide a business card between the tang and stock all the way around the tang,
should be no resistance.

No the tang is not free floated on mine.

possible
05-09-2011, 02:23 PM
My 16 FHVSS is only six weeks old, The tang is free floated with about 10 lbs. of torque on the screw

gotcha
05-09-2011, 03:56 PM
Smokey262 +1.............. scratcherky +1................. slimjim +1 ........ IMHO, The single most important aspect is bedding "stress free". When your bedding job is complete the action screws should come to an immediate & sudden stop when mounting the stock. Loosening either action screw alternately should yield no movement of bbl in fore end. Otherwise you may have more stress on the action after bedding than before. Check the movement of the bbl in the channel by wrapping your fingers around the bbl and fore end keeping your fingers touching both. You'll notice movement immediately. Do this both before & after bedding. Then you'll KNOW you've got it right!! I learned bedding from an old (now deceased) hand. He proved his bedding prowess by loosening action screws @ the range and taking glee in the fact that his groups didn't shift OR get larger. :o Dale

r29l20
05-09-2011, 05:44 PM
Free floating tang. It was first introduced to the astronauts, wait for it, oh I get it. ;D

lomfs24
05-09-2011, 05:47 PM
r29l20, that's your one groaner for today. You don't get to make anymore jokes until tomorrow. ;D

gotcha
05-09-2011, 07:39 PM
+1