PDA

View Full Version : bolt face touching barrel

Guipago
05-06-2011, 09:04 AM
Hi Guys, got a target action LRVP in .223 that I got a Krieger 1:7 twist 30" barrel put in (nutless) that I use for F-Class & have noticed marks on the bolt face from opening & closing the bolt that have come from the rear of the barrel, question I have is this normal or could it be causing a problem??? I do have funny things happening, but there are many areas to check (including myself) before pointing the finger at the cause of strange flyers. THANKS!! Geoff

sinman
05-06-2011, 09:27 AM
Your chamber isn't cut to the correct depth as factory savages. You dont want your bolt face touching your barrel. Sounds like your smith cut it to deep.

nsaqam
05-06-2011, 09:47 AM
If your headspace is correct (easy to check with GO/NOGO guages) then your smith should be able to face ~.010" off of the breech of the barrel and you'll be good to go.

If your headspace is long (the NOGO goes) then your smith will have to machine the shoulder and the breech.

nsaqam
05-06-2011, 09:51 AM
Your chamber isn't cut to the correct depth as factory savages. You dont want your bolt face touching your barrel. Sounds like your smith cut it to deep.

With a nutless barrel like this one the chamber has nothing to do with the breech touching the boltface.
This is solely a function of the relationship between the shoulder and the breech face.
There could be no chamber at all and this situation would exist.

sinman
05-06-2011, 10:11 AM
He wouldn't be able to shoot it if the chamber wasn't cut deep enough, I missed the part where he said it was nutless so yes it is more than a chamber problem. The question I would have is why the smith let it out of the shop with it having an obvious problem.

nsaqam
05-06-2011, 01:08 PM
He wouldn't be able to shoot it if the chamber wasn't cut deep enough, I missed the part where he said it was nutless so yes it is more than a chamber problem. The question I would have is why the smith let it out of the shop with it having an obvious problem.

I'd be really suspect of any work this "gunsmith" did.

sharpshooter
05-06-2011, 04:13 PM
Before you start "assuming" things, Check it with the barrel off and a go gauge and the bolt head. It can have plenty of clearance when the gauge is against the bolt face and the chamber. On an empty chamber however, there is enough slack in the bolt assembly to move forward when dry fired. The firing pin bottoms on the bolt head and pushes it forward. The slack can move the bolt head forward enough to barely touch the end of the barrel and leave a wipe mark when you open the bolt.
This is not a problem when actual firing because the cartridge holds it away from the breech end of the barrel.

Guipago
05-06-2011, 07:09 PM
Thanks for the replies, my gunsmith told me the same as Sharpshooter which I understood, but then he started to "waffle on a bit" & being the suspicious little mongrol that I am thought I'd ask here, the flyers I get arn't that bad, but are just enough to get the "where did that come from!!!???" & their a bit too regular to discount. The gunsmith offered to take a slice off the rear of the barrel,but he didn't think it needed it & we discussed other probable causes(in between technical information that wasn't relevant) everything from bad barrels(got a lecture on cut rifling verses button rifling)bullets & my reloading proceedure, so I have plenty to check, the bolt face marks being one, thanks again, Geoff