PDA

View Full Version : HOW I FIND OAL IN MY CHAMBER

okie2
10-28-2009, 05:56 PM
Split 2 sides of sized case neck insert bullet of your choice just enough to hold it then chamber it
remove carefully and measure as picture. this will give you the most accurate measurment you can get.
the lands will push bullet back into case.
http://i661.photobucket.com/albums/uu340/OKIE2-photos/my%20guns/HOWTOOALMEASURMENT.jpg

Galveston22
10-28-2009, 06:07 PM
Good tip but you dont need to ruin a case to find OAL. Just take a fired case and size maybe a 1/8" down the neck. Seat the bullet long enough that it will be driven into the lands. Chamber and extract the round. Measure the length of the case now with a caliper. Then you can pull the bullet and size the case like your normally would.

tammons
10-28-2009, 06:16 PM
A hornady OAL length gage is oretty easy too.

CARBON-ARCH
10-31-2009, 06:36 PM
Good tip but you dont need to ruin a case to find OAL. Just take a fired case and size maybe a 1/8" down the neck. Seat the bullet long enough that it will be driven into the lands. Chamber and extract the round. Measure the length of the case now with a caliper. Then you can pull the bullet and size the case like your normally would.

I do it this was as well. I am fairly new at realoading and this is the way i was taught.